5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing Folders on Home Network (WinXP SP2)

I have been backing up selected files and folders for my PC (WinXP SP2) and my Wife's PC (Win98SE) onto a CD-R on my PC for a long time (running the backup program on my PC). I've just installed a new PC running WinXP for my wife. Now I'm having trouble getting access to some of my wife's files and folders over the network. I've turned on sharing on her C: drive and some of her folders. I'm not sure if I have to turn on sharing at all levels from the root down to each folder I want to backup or if I should only turn it on at each folder itself. It seems that if I turn on sharing at a folder level, that folder's name appears in the network places list when looking from my PC. That surprises me since it didn't do that when she was using Win98SE, so obviously WinXP is very different in this area. Can someone please describe how I should go about getting access to folders (like her Outlook Express Address Book) in this setup?

BTW, both machines are behind a firewall on the router and each machine has a software firewall installed.

Thanks,
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Sharing Folders on Home Network (WinXP SP2)

Where are you looking for the "Outlook Express Address Book"?

They should be found at
    Cocuments and Settings"Wifes account"Local SettingsApplication DataIdentities{"Wifes ID which is a whole bunch of letters and numbers"}MicrosoftOutlook Express

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Either peruse the threads at Networking your Home or search that forum. There are many threads on setting up an XP home network.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I don't have any problem finding her Address Book, I just have a problem getting access to it from the other computer.

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's a great suggestion! I obviously didn't look far enough down the list of forums when I came here the other day. I hadn't kept up with all the different categories available here.

Thanks,
    Bill