Star Lounger
    Thanks

Open & Repair (2003 Prof. SP1)

Several times we've had documents that seem to be corrupted. Lately, I've tried open & repair. Sometimes it seems to do the trick; other times not. Last week had to repair the same document twice over the space of a week; each time it told me it found one instance of "Internal Data Integrity (type 4)" and repaired it.

Can anyone tell me what internal data integriy type 4 is? If I knew, maybe we could avoid it happening.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open & Repair (2003 Prof. SP1)

I don't think Microsoft publishes the exact meaning of these error messages, but a reasonable guess is that there was a checksum error in the binary part of the document (each document consists of a human-readable part and of some binary information).

Do the documents contain older clipart? Word 2003 seems to have problems with that sometimes.

See How can I recover a corrupt document or template - and why did it become corrupt? for some tips.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No clipart, just a lot of tables -- I've related some of our problems in 2003 with tables here before. 2003 doesn't seem to like our tables in headers & footers, even tho I've inserted new 2003 tables making sure the row ending markers have the style "Table Grid". Before doc was repaired, header/footer tables of two sections had seemingly adapted themselves (by themselves) to a bulleted style. Using tables in headers/footers made everything easy in Office 2K, but now seem to be just an invitation to corruption.

I will make sure that everyone I work with checks their option, Prompt to Save Normal Template. Maybe that could be part of our problem -- mine was constantly being saved.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I forgot I had a question about instructions given in "How can I recover a corrupt document " The first suggestion is to save as Web page. This worked great in Word 2K, but it doesn't seem to work as well in Word 2003, and I think I read somewhere that Open & Repair is the better solution. Maybe I got confused along the way. Is saving as Web page still the best way to go? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid I don't know what is causing the corruption in your documents, so I can't tell which method is best. What doesn't work well for you if you convert to HTML and back?