5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

Report grouping (2002 SP3)

I am trying to group a report by FuntionDate as per the attached doc. Each group can have multiple or no Tasks and each Task can have multiple or no people. The number of Tasks per date vary. The number of people per Task vary. How do I get this grouping?
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Report grouping (2002 SP3)

Since you want down-then-across for the dates, across-then-down for the tasks, and down-then-across for the persons, it cannot be done (as far as I know) in a single report, whether by grouping or otherwise. You must use a main report with nested subreports, as in the attached rough demo. The first subreport has 3 columns and is organized across-then-down. The main report and the sub-subreport have only one column.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. Boy you have impressed me in the past, but this takes the cake! I spent several; hours racking my brains trying to find a way to do this. You make it look so simple and thus so elegant.
    2 questions:
    I can
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The subreports are rather short; they will expand automatically to fit the data because their Can Grow property is set to Yes. This makes it more difficult to select a subreport on its parent report, the easiest way is to click in the vertical ruler to the left of it. Once the subreport is selected, you can resize it like any other control.

You can also inspect the Link Child Fields and Link Master Fields properties of the subreport. The Tasks subreport is linked to the main report on ADate in my example, and the Persons subreport is linked to the Tasks subreport on TaskID. You'll need some way to identify a task - date combination; I used the otherwise meaningless AutoNumber field TaskID for this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I have fiddled with it and it is starting to look great. You're a genius.
    Regards,
    Peter