New Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting of Numbered List styles (Word 2002 SP3)

I'm going crazy with numbered list styles.

I have a template with a numbered list style, indented with a left alignment of 2.54 cm.
    I use this style to create a list of items. They are numbered automatically whenever I hit the CR: 1) bla bla 2) blo blo 3) bli bli. So far so good.
    The problem arises when I want to restart the numbering. I go to line 3) bli bli, click Format/Bullets and Numbering/Restart numbering, then click OK.
    Now the list shows 1) bla bla 2) blo blo 1) bli bli (as you would expect). But the alignment has "magically" shifted to 1.9 cm and is applied to the entire list.

Why is this, and what can I do to stop it?

Thanks for any suggestions/explanations/fixes!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting of Numbered List styles (Word 2002 SP3)

You can set the indent for the style in the Paragraph dialog and in the Numbering > Customize dialog. For numbered styles, you should NOT use the Paragraph dialog, only the Numbering dialog.

Also see this newsgroup thread.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting of Numbered List styles (Word 2002 SP3)

Thanks very much, Hans. The problem was in Formats/Bullets and Numbering. For some reason, the in the Bullets and Numbering/Numbered tab (the tab with 8 different panes, the first being called None), the wrong pane was selected. I clicked on the pane with the name of my style, clicked the Customize button, set the correct indent values for both the Number and the Text position, and the problem was solved.

Ben