3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 (Exchange) Rules unreliable (2003)

Has anyone seen this behavior?

User has rule set to move received mail "sent to people or distribution list" (which is to a distribution list) into a separate folder. User receives e-mail from a member of the distribution list (not to the distribution list itself) and that mail gets moved to the folder specified in the distribution list rule. There is no rule to move mail from the individual.

Odd - but I've got five or six users for whom even after deleting and re-creating the rule, and running the /cleanrules switch they still don't work. Many other users in this installation with the exact same rule and it works correctly.

I don't find detail on MSKB about this flakiness. Anybody know what to do?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 (Exchange) Rules unreliable (2003)

Van-

I've had some problems with rules. I seem to have fixed most of them by opening the rules list and finding duplicates and deleting the dupes.

Just looking at the whole list might you might be able to find some discrepancy between the ones that work and don't ... another trick you might try is to open one of the ones that works and change the name in that rule to one that doesn't work.

hope this helps,

tom

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 (Exchange) Rules unreliable (200

Van-

What a mess. I've only been on 2003 for about 4 months and I'm seriously considering the pain of rolling back to 2002 or some other email client altogether because of these "small" nits that can just drive you crazy.

doesn't sound like that is an option for your system, so good luck. Seems that no one in this forum knows how to deal with it and this is a very savy group of users.

cheers,

tom

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No duplicates here - we've deleted them and re-defined and /cleaned them twice.

Several hundred users of rules in this installation and five or six of the user's rules just won't work. Overlapping groups seems to be the problem. Members of group messages managed by rules are having their independent messages acted on by the rules defined for the groups.

It's maddening - the rules are correctly defined "to people or distribution list" with the group name resolved - not the individual name.

True, these users apply a lot of rules - and they receive massive amounts of mail - hundreds per day. Their previous system handled mail sorting by 'filters' with ease. Grrr.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I doubt you can put only one of your users on Outlook 2002, but I had lots of rules on that and it was flawless. I upgraded to 2003 due to all the talk about better security and now regret it.

2003 is not stable compared to XP (or even Eudora ,for that matter).

good luck.

tom

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it works most of the time and it's a terrific product with the full integration - scheduling, contacts, etc. I just wish it were a bit more reliable in an enterprise installation. This client is very reliant on Rules and they need to work 100% of the time.

Thanks for looking at the problem!