2 Star Lounger
    Durham, North Carolina, USA

Heading numbers in PDF bookmarks (Word XP/Acrobat 5)

Ok, I know I'm slightly off-topic here, but the Acrobat answer forum was no help, and everyone here has always been helpful.

My company uses numbered headings in Word XP (1., 1.1., 1.2., etc.). When we use PDF Maker to generate PDFs of these documents, the bookmarks created don't include those heading numbers. Does anyone on this forum know why and if there's a way to fix this?

Our customers, federal regulatory agencies, require that the bookmarks match the Word text exactly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Heading numbers in PDF bookmarks (Word XP/Acrobat 5)

You could try
    <UL><LI>Make a copy of the document
    <LI>On the copy
    <UL><LI>Select all the text
    <LI>Alt-F11 to get to the Visual Basic Editor
    <LI>Gontrol-G to display the immediate window
    <LI>Selection.Range.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToTex t
    <LI>This will convert all the paragraph numbering to text, but not change any numbers
    <LI>Now print to PDF[/list]<LI>Now delete the temporary copy of the document so that you don;t make the mistake of using this version with hard coded numbers for future edits[/list]StuartR

Star Lounger
    Linthicum, Maryland, USA

Re: Heading numbers in PDF bookmarks (Word XP/Acrobat 5)

We just switched to Acrobat 7, and it will create numbered bookmarks from an automatically numbered Word document. Quite a pleasant surprise.

If you convert auto numbers to hard coded (I used a macro posted here quite a while ago), I always had to remember to watch out for page/section breaks in front of auto-numbered headings -- they will create a heading number on a blank page.