2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Simplify section expand/collapse (2003)

I am working on technical documentation for a system we are implementing and would like to create within a Word document functionality similar to MS Word's help; with sections that can be expanded or collapsed by single clicking on a icon, object, or whatever. I have played a bit with subdocuments (expand/collapse) but would really prefer push button/hyperlink approach (again, like Word's help). What would be the best way to approach this? The purpose of adding this functionality to the documentation would be to allow someone to drill down into more detail if they choose. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Simplify section expand/collapse (2003)

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

My first suggestion would be to create a real help file. You can get the basic HTML Help workshop from Microsoft at:

Download details: HTML Help Workshop and Documentation

If you want to keep it a Word document, you could have macro buttons (available with form fields, I believe), which would launch a message window with the information you want.

Alternatively, you could create hyperlinks within the document with a "Back" hyperlink to return them to where they started from originally. You could even hyperlink it to other documents with just the information you want, but then the user would have to close that document to return to the original.

Just a couple of suggestions...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jeanie,
    Thank you for your help. I appreciate the information...this looks like the way to go. scott

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You could have a look at the sample doc from Greg Maxey's web site.
    After you open the doc, hide formatting marks and hidden text (Ctrl+*, or click the