3 Star Lounger
    Lewes, East Sussex, Sussex, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Restarting an application (Access 2002 SP3)

Lounge experts

We have a current application written in Access 2002, which is based on various geographical locations. The user can only log in to one location at a time, and this will not be altered. However, users are allowed to change to a different location, but to do this the application has to close down, and the user has to manually restart it.

Is there an easy way to get Access to restart itself automatically, i.e. without user intervention? I am sure someone must have done this before, but I am not aware of how exactly to achieve the result.

Usual thanks for your expert help

Nick

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restarting an application (Access 2002 SP3)

Why not create a menu/switchboard form in the database in which the user can select a location?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you can do it and no, it isn't simple. Getting Access to restart itself requires a second database app that is launched from the regular database, which then quits. The second database waits until the first is shut down (one way is to check for the existence of the ldb file on the first) and then uses Shell to launch the first one again before closing itself down.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Is the requirement to restart based on the need to link to a different backend database for each location? If so, it should be possible to simply re-run your linking functions,perhaps on the after-update event of a combo or list box, to poin to the new database.

3 Star Lounger
    Lewes, East Sussex, Sussex, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Charlotte

Thanks for that. I managed to get round it by shelling the new instance of the application just before the current one closes. It doesn't do exactly what the user wants, but I think it will do for now.

Thanks again

Nick