2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Project locked (XP)

Hello everybody!

I have received an addin which contains some macros at which I wanted to take a look. Unfortunately I receive an error message when I want to display the project: Project locked: Project cannot be displayed (or similar to this, since I use a german version of Excel). I know that it is possible to lock a project with a password. So I would have expected to get a dialog for giving a password to unlock the project, but I did not get it. Now I am very confused.
    Could someone out there help me understanding this mechanism?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Project locked (XP)

I guess the add-in was created in Excel 2003. Code protected in a newer version cannot be unlocked in an older version.
    Are you sure the author allows you to view the code? If so, ask for an unprotected version.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Opening the addin tells me something about Excel 5/7. I could try to open it with Excel 2003 to know about it. As an answer to your question: I think the author does not want me to open the project, and I will not crack it. I just want to understand how this mechanism works that you can protect a project without giving anyone the chance to take a look at it. The thing behaves in another way than expexcted, that makes me curious.
    Maybe there is something that wants to be learned?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

AFAIK protected addins made with Excel 5/95 cannot be unprotected in any later version and also not cracked.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association