New Lounger
    Thanks

Please HELP Networking

I need help with My network. I have a brand new Compaq computer with XP home, I guess it has some new security features. I have a motorola cable modem and 3 other computers in my home one with XP Pro and Xp home. I can not get the new computer to network in any way. I have read Woody's book on networks and I can get all other computers and my parents computer (was repairing it) to network fine, no problem , but the new one, no such luck. I have a router, a hub, and a crossovercable. Any machine (except my new one) I just go to Network places and set it up, I can get access to any shared files on the new computer but the new computer can't "see" the older ones. The new one will not connect to another computer, a hub or a router and all give the same generic message like "other computer failed to respond". I figure it must be some kind of new security feature but I have tried everything. Any help/ideas??

Thanks

Re: Please HELP Networking

Have a look at this site . The references here cover just about any type of home networking problem.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to the lounge.

If you want us to help you, then you're going to have to give us a lot more information. We need to understand details of
    <UL><LI>Exactly what hardware you have and how it is configured
    <LI>Exactly how you have configured the software
    <LI>What you tried to do when you got the error message
    <LI>Exactly what error message you saw[/list]Compaq computers have no specific or unusual network security features that I know of, so something must be either mis-configured or faulty.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are the workgroup names the same on the new computer as on the others?