3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attendance (2003)

I am trying to create an attendance program and I am totally at a loss on where to start. I wanted to do it in access but I am thinking that it might be too hard to do it this way. It is presently being done on an excel spreadsheet but it need a major overhaul and I would love to change it over to access. Any ideas on how to start this little project. My problem arises because people come and go and I am getting stuck either using the people as the colums or the date as the colums.... I am totally lost.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Attendance (2003)

Excel is probably a lot easier for this kind of problem than Access.

If you do want to do it in Access, the central table tblAttendance should have one record for each person - date combination, with an attendance code. See screenshot. The PersonID field would be linked to a table tblPersons, and the TheDate field to a table tblDates listing all dates. Data entry could be in a form based on tblPersons with a subform based on tblAttendance, and/or in a form based on tblDates with a subform based on tblAttendance.

If you want data entry in a spreadsheet-like format as in your Excel screenshot, you'd have to make Access jump through a lot of hoops.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is sorta what I would be looking for for the input of the information ... as you can see my problem would be the fact that the list of people would change a lot.... I think you might be write on the excel ......

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you use a subform, the number of people can be variable.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What woud be the best way to set this up.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Take a look at the very simple demo attached to <post#=364,203>post 364,203</post#>. It shows how you can use a form and subform to handle a many-to-many relationship. In the demo it's students and classes, in your database it would be persons and dates.