New Lounger
    Thanks

Word has encountered an error and must close (2003 latest SP)

On an upgrade install (from Works), every time I exit Word, I get "Word has an encountered an error blah, blah". When re-started, I get a message about normal.dot being changed and do I want to save it.

If, I start Word, open and save normal.dot, it exits fine no matter what I do. If I start Word with the /a switch, it works OK as well.

I tried deleting normal.dot to no avail. I copied a normal.dot from another machine also to no avail.

The /a switch implied that it might be an add-in but there is nothing in the Word /Startup folder and there are no macros or add ins that I can see.

I also deleted the Data and Options registry keys to no avail.

The only thing left that I can think of is to reinstall but from what I've been able to read on the 'net, that might not work either.

Thought I'd see if anyone here can make any suggestions before I go that route. Thanks in advance.

MichaelC

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word has encountered an error and must close (2003 latest SP)

You seem to have covered most of the steps in Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>, but it won't hurt to take a look at it, there are a few extras.

And have you tried Help | Detect and Repair?
    If that doesn't help, you can also do a repair installation.