Thread: 2 Firewalls

Thanks

2 Firewalls

I have a PC that runs Windows Media Center Edition. It has 2 firewalls, Windows own firewall and McAfee's firewall. I believe running two firewalls on one PC can run into trouble plus more processor overhead. If that is the case, any suggestions as to which one keep on and which to turn off? Does one have more of an advantage over the other?
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2 Firewalls

The Windows Firewall is very basic and would be my choice for disabling. It doesn't offer outbound protection, for starters, and furthermore it's difficult to configure. If you think of it this way - that Microsoft provides a firewall as a basic measure of protection, rather than none at all - the choice becomes obvious. Stick with McAfee's firewall, its advantages are legion over the default provided with Windows.
    -Mark

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

When you install a third party firewall that is aware of the XP firewall it almost always turns off/disables the XP firewall. Because of the way firewall interact with the operating system, you should never run more than one firewall at time.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Thank you Mark and Joe for your postback. I didn't realize Windows firewall does not work on outgoing access. I don't want to propagate viruses etc. and I would like to know what programs have illegally got control of my PC so outgoing access is a good feature to have. I will turn Windows firewall off and use McAfee's.

Thanks again.
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If McAfee is SP 2 compliant, then it should turn OFF the Windows firewall as soon as it is fully started.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.