2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PostgreSQL (2002)

Anyone have any experience using PostgreSQL with Access? I have 6gb of transactional data that I really need in one table. Right now I have it split into to three mdbs, which is inconvenient and really slow.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PostgreSQL (2002)

When you say you have split it into 3 mdb's, have you got indexes on this data. If you have not, that's on reason why it's so slow.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There are indexes, it's just the volume of data that's presenting the problem. I have to use all three tables indexed in chronological order to build a summary table, which is the end product I need. The 6gb of data, once summarized, is only about 1-1.5gb. Using test data I created a summary table, it seems to perform within reason in Access.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

SQL Server would be much better suited to this kind of project - it doesn't have the size limitation that you have in Access 2002. But you will need the full version - the Developer version would probably be just fine if you are the only person that needs to work with the data. And you will get performance as good or better than Access. Unfortunately I am not familiar with PostgreSQL.
    Wendell