4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer window (2002)

Hello All,
    Does anyone know if it is possible to display an explorer type window inside a database? What I need is display the contents of a specific folder. Also, I am using Citrix to run the database and with that, I cannot just open a new window on screen as the setup doesn't allow this. Hopefully this doesn't sound too vague.

Thanks,
    Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Explorer window (2002)

Do you mean that you cannot use Application.FileDialog?

You could create a form with a text box or list box, and use the Dir function to loop through the files in the folder and add the file names to the text box/list box. You'll find many examples of using Dir in the Lounge.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, well I tried that and it works, almost... It opens the file open dialog but then I can't do anything with the displayed files. There are a number of word docs, some XL sheets, and a plain old text file or two. If I select any of these files, the dialog closes and that is it. I suspect that the problem comes with the fact that I am using a terminal session of the DB in which I am really just running the DB remotely and not any kind of desktop session. I like the idea of putting a list of files into a datasheet or list box, but the end result is that the user should be able to open the files. This may be one problem that there is no solution to. Got any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you mean that the FileDialog closes as soon as you click on a file? Is your Windows set up to open files with a single click?
    Apart from that, the FileDialog doesn't open files, it is just meant to let the user select a file (or files). YOU as programmer must do something with the selected file(s), for example by using Application.FollowHyperlink or the ShellExecute API function (search for either in this forum, there are many examples).

If you want to open files, a text box is not very suitable, but a list box is. You can use the On Dbl Click event to open the selected file (again, using Application.FollowHyperlink or ShellExecute)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,
    More learning to do!.....