5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to uninstall (Small Business Edition)

A relative has been given a PC by her son who had installed XP Small Business Edition.
    The hard disc is littered with unwanted applications like Microsoft Games. I attempted to remove these using Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel. One game - Age of Mythology - refused to delete; I clicked the remove button, XP thought for a while and then returned to Add/Remove but the program was still there. This effect also happens with other programs listed in Add/Remove, although some programs which were listed were successfully removed.
    Also, there is another game - Microsoft Golf - which is definitely present in the same Microsoft Games folder, but does not appear
    a) via Start | All Programs | Microsoft Games
    or [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] in the Add/Remove Programs list.
    Can loungers assist with explanations about why these happenings may be occurring and suggest a (best?) way to proceed with removing these programs?
    Thanks
    Silverback (W2K and sticking with it!)
    Silverback

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks

Re: Unable to uninstall (Small Business Edition)

There is no such OS as XP SBE. Do you mean Office XP SBE? You can check which version of XP is installed by right clicking My Computer then selecting Properties. The General tab has the OS identification. Also, Add/Remove programs is the best way to uninstall. Do you have the CDs so you could try an reinstall then uninstall?

Joe

Thanks

Just a stab in the dark, but if some of these games required the CD inserted (as well as whatever part of the program that was installed on the hard drive) to function, then might they also require the CD inserted to remove the program?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And, in addition to the above, may I say that sometimes a fresh install is the best course of action. If your relative has the OS disk or setup disk (OEM) that came with the computer, it might be less time consuming to wipe the hard drive clean and start from scratch. Tough decision but sometimes a lot less headache, especially if there's nothing on the computer that's needed...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe, Rebel and Al
    Thanks for your replies.
    I don't get to see (ie play with the computer) the relatives too often so I will try and get them to action your suggestions by phone.
    My guess is that this won't work (new to computers and don't want to do anything new in case it screws things up) so it will probably hang for a while.
    Big Al - we had pretty much come to this thought ourselves, but the relatives are very reluctant to action. Maybe if they have to . . .
    I will (eventually) let you all know how things progress.
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Silverback,
    Silverback

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Big Al - and all other loungers
    The situation with this offending PC is now getting the relatives down; a couple of 'professional' people have had a look at it and it is still causing probs, so I foolishly offered to rebuild the PC so it was 'clean'
    What I didn't know at the time of the offer was that the PC was originally on Windows ME and had been upgraded to XP.
    Now as I understand it, which is not very well, I am required to reinstall ME and then upgrade to XP again, after saving all their precious documents and photos. But ME requires setup discs (XP allows one to say 'boot from CD drive', I am told) but how do I create setup discs for ME when the PC is now running on XP?
    I heard a rumour that any setup disc will work i.e. I could create setup discs on my W2K PC and use those to isntall ME from their CD. Is this correct, or have I got myself into something I should have stayed away from?
    Thanks
    Silverback
    Silverback

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you have Windows XP Upgrade Installation CD, you need "proof" that you have any qualified previous version of Windows. Such "proof" can be any Windows Installation CD (full version), such as Windows Me, Windows 98, Windows 2000 and so on.

In other words, you do not need to install previous version of Windows, but instead "present" (insert when prompted and/or navigate to) Installation CD during Windows XP clean install process.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Kaplinb
    This is great news. Just to check I've interpreted correctly, you are saying (aren't you?) that the Windows XP Upgrade CD should allow a clean install of XP - even though it's labelled Upgrade CD?
    (If that really is the case, it really is good news. A (local) friend who runs XP has told me how to make XP boot from CD, so it would be (relatively) simple to produce a 'clean' machine wihout all the hassle of installing ME first.)
    Silverback
    I've got licenced W2K discs, so I could use those as proof if their "Dell Operating System - Reinstallation CD WMe" doesn't do the bizz.
    Silverback
    Silverback

Thanks

<hr>the Windows XP Upgrade CD should allow a clean install of XP - even though it's labelled Upgrade CD<hr>
    Exactly! As long as you have the CD's for the qualifying product, you can install XP as an upgrade on top of the previous system, or as a completely fresh clean install. Good luck.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it is correct. Just make sure that you have WindowsXP Upgrade CD, the legitimate key (25-characters long) for it, full version Windows Installation CD (any previous version) and that in BIOS boot sequence CD drive is above the hard drive.
    Insert Windows XP Upgrade CD, power off your computer with the CD inside, power it on again and good luck!