Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Message (IE 6)

I replied to an e-mail message received through my Hotmail account. The intended recipient never received it. Can someone explain what happens to those messages that never get delivered. I did not receive a return message indicating that the message was not deliverable.

Thanks,
    John

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Message (IE 6)

Impossible to tell, particularly if the recipient isn't also on hotmail (and even if he is, I can think of a possibility or two). A server en route to the recipient could have crashed and lost messages. Something could have happened at the recipient's computer. Your message might have "looked like" spam and got sucked into a spam filter. On days when the deluge of spam is particularly bad, I've been known to accidentally delete messages that it didn't intend to because they're in the middle of a mass of spam messages (I sometimes notice that I've done that if I happen to glance at my deleted items folder). Recipient might have his e-mail configured incorrectly so you don't have the correct return address - have you sent him messages successfully before?

With all the e-mailing worms out there, you can't trust any more that you will get an undeliverable message for messages that are undeliverable.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Message (IE 6)

Thanks for the explanation