New Lounger
    Thanks

xp accounts problems and issues with (xp sp2)

Hello woody and all you who know the answers.
    Ive got XP, right, I understand I can control users, I am Ok thus far. I have even set up accounts. But can my family use the applications on the PC ? A resounding NO. They cannot use Office 2000 they cannot use dogwaffle. I can as administrator.
    I can find no explanation anywhere where it tells me how I can enable these programmes for my other users. And Dogwaffle is supposed to be XP compatible. What is the point of having other users if they cannot actually do anything. Will we be forever sharing my administrator user and if we are can I keep my stuff private and can they keep their stuff private on the same user account.
    I've looked through Woody's book but can find no explanation. The suggestion is that XP ought to distribute applications across all users.
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: xp accounts problems and issues with (xp sp2)

Which version of XP do you have; Home or Pro?

As you say, programs are installed from an administrator account, and normally, all programs can afterward be run from any account (limited or member of admin group etc). Some programs do need to be run from an account with admin. privileges (member of the admin. group), but Office is not such program. So the follow up to the first question is; if Home version I suppose you have an admin account, and the others Limited account. There should be no problems running Office. If Pro version and you have an admin. account; what type are the others? In Pro you have more alternatives, several types of accounts. That said, that should not matter, they should be able to run Office.

First time running Office 2000 when logged on as a user, Office must complete the settings for that user account.

Are there any error messages?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have home XP.
    What happens is....
    The MS Office Icons appear on the system and the programmes are listed. However when they click on Office 200 says it is loading the programmes then stops and tells them that they dont have the priveleges to load these programmes on this account and 'please log on as administrator and load these programmes on this account' (or something along those lines) However even as administrator I can not make XP load the programmes to those accounts since as administrator I am obviously not working in those accounts.
    I have the upgrade version of Office2k and xferred this from my old pc. I am sort of afraid to remove it and reload it since I dont have a 'qualifying' package on my new computer and fear I may lose it completely.
    Could it be that this is the thing stopping it being shared across all accounts

Robin
    Dogwaffle simply does not appear anywhere other than in my administrator account

Thanks

<hr>I have the upgrade version of Office2k and xferred this from my old pc<hr>
    How did you do this? Did you actually install Office on the new machine? The behaviour your other users are experiencing seems to indicate that they are trying to install Office rather than simply using the applications. As for removing (uninstalling) and reinstalling, you don't need the "qualifying" package on the new machine. As long as you have the CD for the qualifying package, the upgrade installation will tell you at some point that it can't find the qualifying package. At this point, simply remove the O2000 CD, insert the other CD, follow the prompt, and then replace it with the O2000 CD and resume installing. As <!profile=Argus>Argus<!/profile> has pointed out, Office will then be available of ALL users of the machine.

As for Dogwaffle, if it does not give you the option of installing for all users, you may have to install it separately for all accounts. To do this, simply change the other accounts to Administrator accounts, install the software, and then reset each account back to the limited User status. There are quite a few programs that will, when installing, ask you if the software is to be installed ONLY for the current user or for ALL users. Perhaps Dogwaffle is not one of these.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to the Lounge!

To make long story short and solve your problem, I would suggest to give each of your limited ("user") accounts full ("Administrator") rights, logon to each of these accounts and run each Office program (Word, Excel etc.) once - just open new blank document and close it. I understand it may take some time. After you finish, logon to your main (Administrator) account once again and strip other accounts from Administrative rights back to "users".
    Sorry, I am not familiar with Dogwaffle program and its requirements. Maybe somebody else will help you.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for the advice offered in response to my problem. I would have thanjed you earlier but have been away.
    I changed all my users to administrators and loaded everything on successfully and changed them all back to users. And it works!
    Its so simple.
    Thanks
    What I cannot understand is why that is never made clear in the literature. I think Woody should make a chapter out of it in his next manifestation of XP for dummies.

Thanks to everyone. Where would we dummies be without you!!

Robin