3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Master docs, styles, templates and page setup (2000 sp4)

I'm finally coming to putting my PhD together, years late, and am at the critically assembling monster doc and generating ToC stage.

I'd like to pull everything together into a master document, for ease of generating ToC etc, but am worried about the corruption issues. If I base my master doc on the same template that all my chapter docs are based on, open each chapter doc and tick automatically update document styles, should I manage to avoid the corruption problems?

Second question - I've just tried applying my chapter template to one chapter doc that was, for some reason, based on normal, ticked automatically update document styles, and saved the document. The styles were updated, but the page setup wasn't. If I base a new document on a template, the page setup is determined by the template, so why not when I apply a template to a document? Is there any way to force this? I can see circumstances where it would be undesirable, but others, such as this, where it would be advantageous.

thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Master docs, styles, templates and page setup (2000 sp4)

The main rule if you want to use the master/subdocument feature is: back up, back up, back up!

Page setup is stored in the section markers; they are not updated when you apply a different template to a document. If you have a single-section document, you can copy its contents into a new document based on the template. For a document with multiple sections, you'll have to adjust page settings manually.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Master docs, styles, templates and page setup (2000 sp4)

The second rule is only make changes that you absolutely have to whilst in Master Document view. If you need to edit one of your chapters then do it separately and finish all these edits before opening the master.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Master docs, styles, templates and page setup

Edited by HansV to provide link to post - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

Thanks for the tips.

I'm in the process of trying to do this, and have found that some styles don't seem to update, even though the same styles have updated elsewhere in the document. I have checked that all these styles have been used in the template, so that's not the problem. It appears that there's some manual formatting here, so, following some previous lounge advice, I went into outline view, changed the view so that only headings were showing, selected everything and pressed CTRL+Spacebar, but was then dismayed to find that a lot of the important manual formatting in the paragraph body text (eg sub and superscripts) was reset. I can't remember if the lounger in question was referring to a different version of word, but does this method of selecting only the headings not work in 2000?

Any suggestions as to how to clear manual formatting from headings but leave the body text alone?

Thanks

Edit: Have discovered that the lounger who suggested this solution was none other than the venerable Mr Lockton, in <post#=404159>post 404159</post#>, and it was in reference to Word 2000. Although it wasn't about removing manual formatting, I would have thought that this method should work.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try this macro:

Sub ResetHeadings()
    Dim par As Paragraph
    For Each par In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
    If Left(par.Style, 7) = "Heading" Then
    par.Range.Font.Reset
    End If
    Next par
    End Sub

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,

Was nearly there, but as usual the vaguaries of VBA got me - recording a macro, one gets Selection.Font.Reset, but trying to put that in a sub, Font is not a property of Paragraphs, and par.format.reset does nothing. AAAAAGH!

But you've done the work for me - thanks!

BTW, trying the case change on the outline view does work as described in previous post, but that's the only manouvre that seems to be visible outline specific.