Lounger
    Thanks

Word doc merge from Access (2000) query (WORD/2000 Access (2000))

Forgive me Admins for I have sinned... It has been over a year since my last help message.

I have created a database that has not given me any problems and things have been running great for a while. Upgraded from 97 to 2000 in 2004 (makes no sense to me either but that's what they wanted) and haven't had to do much outside of what was already created.

I am trying to merge an existing word document with a Microsoft Access Query that is already in existence. In the old system this was an easy task however now it is giving me all kinds of problems and not allowing me to "merge" the data or even be able to insert the fields. I have a new form that needs to be filled out monthly and I have the information in the database. I have the query and the form but can't bring them together.

I have attempted to Merge it with Word from Access and attempted to create a merge from Word. I can only get as far as Step 3. I have also created a Data Source (which I didn't want to do, just wanted to link to query like my others created in older version) but that doesn't work either. If I open as OLE DB it doesn't say anything and doesn't do anything... if I open as MS Access it says it cannot find the data source that was created. If I just try to link it from Access it goes directly to step 3 and only shows me table views. When I change the view it shows my query but cannot open it. It then goes back to select a table...

Am I missing something... it was so much easier before... any help would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word doc merge from Access (2000) query (WORD/2000 Access (2000))

Are you sure you're using Word 2000? The problem you describe makes me think you're using Word 2002 or 2003.

Anyway, try the following:
    - In Word, select Tools | Options...
    - Activate the General tab.
    - Tick the check box "Confirm conversion at Open".
    - Click OK.

Now go back to step 3 in the Mail Merge Wizard (task pane).
    - Click Browse...
    - Select the database and click Open.
    - You'll get a dialog asking how you want to connect to the database, with 3 or more options:
    - OLE DB Database Files
    - MS Access Databases via DDE
    - MS Access Database via ODBC

Try the DDE option instead of the default OLE DB.

Note:
    If you select OLE DB Database Files, you should see all tables and those queries that OLE DB can handle, in one list.
    If you select the DDE option, you'll get a dialog with a Tables tab and a Queries tab.
    If you select the ODBC option, you'll see only tables in the list. Click Options and tick the Views check box to see queries too.

Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry you are correct, it is Word 2002 from 2000 before. Sorry about the confusion.

The "Confirm conversion at Open" was checked.

And when trying what you have suggested all I get is... "Task is taking longer than expected" before failing.

When I choose OLE I get no visible tables and the third option is what I was explaining previously.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does the Access database have a database title (set in Tools | Startup...) that does not begin with "Microsoft Access"? This is known to cause problems with DDE.

Lounger
    Thanks

There is no Application Title at all everything is to default and that field is blank.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you post a stripped down copy of your database? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions. Please indicate which table or query you want to use as data source.

Lounger
    Thanks

Ok this is getting more frustrating... when stripping down the table and preparing to send I tried the "merge" before attaching and it worked? I went back to my original and it gave me a command error. I did a browse and search with DDE option and I got a timeout but I can go back to the "stripped" version and it works. Could it have something to do with linked tables? Although no linked tables are involved in the query or information being requested.

Lounger
    Thanks

Apparently It wants to work now... It allowed me to pull up the query and merge the form. Although I am still not sure why it didn't work?

Thank you for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, it's impossible for me to guess why.