Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Access: Security Setup Full Version Users (Access 2003 (11.6355.6408) SP1)

I have an Access Database that is used by up to 10 users simultaneously.
    Until now, they have been using "run time" versions of access... and I have
    had the only "full" version. This has worked well for keeping people out of
    places in the database they really shouldn't be in. However, now the users
    are getting new computers with full versions of access. My concern here is
    this: How do I keep them out of the tables and background stuff? We will be
    getting a new system in a few months... this database is the only thing we
    have until then. I really can't risk loosing the data b/c someone decided to
    play around in the new screens they have access to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Desperate.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access: Security Setup Full Version Users (Access 2003 (11.6355.6408)

If you're only concerned that users will inadvertently view things they shouldn't, you can use some settings in Tools | Startup: set a startup form, and clear most or all of the check boxes in the dialog. This will hide the database window, the full menus etc. To bypass the startup options, hold down the Shift key while opening the database.

If you want real protection, you must apply user-level security. See fellow moderator WendellB's tutorial The Secrets of Security. It contains a short introduction and useful links.

BTW, there is no need to press Enter in the midst of lines in a post. The browser will automatically wrap lines.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your prompt response! I guess my biggest problem is that when I open access in "full version", I can, on the Windows Task Bar, see that there are a few different "tabs" I could click on in Access (besides the screen that is currently open). This is a little hard to explain without knowing the right lingo. Please see the attached document - it has a screen print that shows what I'm talking about. If there was a way I could keep people from knowing these screens were at their disposal, I think it would be sufficient.

Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you set startup options as in the first suggestion from my previous reply, the database window (the bottom entry in your screenshot) will not be available to the end user, neither will tables or queries (at least directly). So the user would only see a list of open forms and reports, and that should be OK.

Lounger
    Thanks

I'll try it... thank you so much! : )

Lounger
    Thanks

I tried unchecking all of the boxes and saving.... but every time I do, it won't keep the changes. When I reopen the database, all of the checkboxes are checked again. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Strange. First see if Tools | Database Utilities | Compact and Repair Database solves it.

If not, perhaps the database is slightly corrupt. Try the following:
    - Create a blank new database.
    - Use File | Get External Data | Import... to import all database objects from your database.
    - If you used non-standard references in VBA, you must set them in the new database too. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you probably don't need to worry about it)
    - Set the startup options in Tools | Startup...
    The options should stick now.

Lounger
    Thanks

Attached is what my "startup" window looks like. Please forgive me, but when you say startup form, are you referring to something other than the switchboard? if so, (I want to keep my switchboard as the first screen when the database opens) what should I be doing? Does it have anything to do with the "application icon" box in the startup window?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your screenshots show the Tools | Startup dialog. The box labeled "Display Form/Page" specifies that Switchboard is the startup form. That is fine, every protected database needs to have a startup form, and Switchboard is an excellent choice for that.
    The "Application Icon" box can be used to set an optional icon to be used in the taskbar button for the database, and in the title bar of the Access application window. It has nothing to do with the startup form, it is a separate setting.

Lounger
    Thanks

I tried Repairing the database... no luck. So I guess I have to create a new database and try to import everything into it. I do have some code that I've gotten from a variety of sources. Will I have to copy that over manually?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you import all database objects, you'll also import all the code in the database.

Lounger
    Thanks

Still need help...
    I imported the old database objects into a new one. I went through and set the security (I think). So far, the toolbars and stuff are all dissappering. This is good. Only one problem. When I check the users' computers, they still have access to the Database window. (Tables, Queries and stuff) Even though, in the user and group permissions window, it shows they don't have access. What am I doing wrong?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Desperate.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you cleared the check box "Display Database Window" in the Tools | Startup dialog?
    If you have, is there code in the Switchboard or in an AutoExec macro that displays the database window?

Lounger
    Thanks

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH! It's all fixed and working. I can't thank you enough. I hope you have a great Valentines Day. Thanks Again. : )

No Longer Desperate!

Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, I lied. It's not fixed. It just tricked me. When I open the database and the switchboard opens, it's fine. However, when I open a form (from the switchboard) the database window becomes available again. I think you might be right about code in the background. I don't know very much about it.... I've just gotten enough information to copy and paste code from other sources into my database to make it work. When I click on the button to open the form from the switchboard, it runs a macro that opens the database table and then the form. I created this database 2 years ago - from what I can remember, there was a problem with the way I wanted to use the form, so I had to create this macro to open the form (for updating the data). I don't think there was any code in there to make the database window open, but I could be wrong. I realize without seeing the database, this is pretty vague. However, I was hoping you might have a suggestion or maybe now that I've explained it, you might know what's going on. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast