Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Define your own category for UDF (97, 2000,xp,2003)

Hi everyone,

I was wrestling with a UDF the other day, wanting to get it into its own category in the function wizard, including descriptions for all arguments.

I found a bit of help in the book Professional Excel Development and some info on Laurent Longre's site. The one in the book looks most promising, but it uses an XLM macro called from VBA using ExecuteExcel4download.

What I'd like you all to do is put it to the test, see if there are any stability issues.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Define your own category for UDF (97, 2000,xp,2003)

Hello Jan Karel,

I opened your workbook, added a sample function in a module, and entered descriptive text for this function in the FunctionDetails sheet. I entered an example in the Examples sheet, then saved and reopened the workbook. It worked fine - the function wizard correctly displayed the description for the function and its argument.

Next, I entered descriptive text for a function in my Personal.xls, and added an example in the Examples sheet. After closing and reopening, the example worked correctly, the function wizard displayed the description. But the previous examples (based on functions stored in the workbook itself) now displayed error values, and any attempt to edit the workbook caused Excel to crash. Opening the workbook with macros disabled was the only way I could repair things.

The latter action (adding descriptive text for a function not stored in the workbook itself) may well be outside the scope of your workbook.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Define your own category for UDF (97, 2000,xp,2003)

Thanks for the test Hans. This other workbook stuff might be something I have to add in the description included on the first worksheet.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association