3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

INDIRECT function (WinXP/O2003)

Hi,

Have a sheet in which I load in currencies as an updateable XML data query from a website (works without any problems)
    Cells in this sheet are named according to ISO convention eg. USD, GBP etc.
    On other sheet I would like to be able to in eg. column B to type in an ISO. Column C an amount and in Column D to convert it into my base currency.

Intention is that input only goes to B and C and that D then is calculated and simply can be copy pasted downwards - irrespective of the currency.
    Formula used: C2*INDIRECT (B2)

If the named cells are on same sheet as the formula it works fine. If they are moved to a seperate sheet they return #VALUE#

Any idea why they will only work as long as they are on the same sheet?
    - is this a limitation of some kind to the indirect function ?

Any hints are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: INDIRECT function (WinXP/O2003)

Perhaps the names are local to the worksheet. You can use <!profile=Pieterse>Pieterse<!/profile>'s free Name Manager add-in to convert the names to global names. See JKP-ADS Download page.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the tip, took a look at the name manager, but I'm not 100% certain how to make distinction between "sheet-local" and "global" names - and how they work. Can you elaborate slightly... - please - ;o)
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See MSKB article HOW TO: Use Global and Local References in Formulas in Excel 2000. It applies to other versions of Excel as well.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, my perceptions were in line with the MSKB article.

Tried to create an example for you and then everything worked as supposed to.
    I think reason could be that I copied global identical names into an existing workbook and that this in some way caused a conflict.
    Had for instance currencies USD and EUR in both as globals.

anyway, problem seems to be solved - thanks for the enlightning articles.
    Bests,
    RD