4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems with updating from 2000 to 2003 (2000 / 2003)

I have a Win98 machine that originally had Publisher 2000 on it. That was upgraded to 2003 last year. All was fine until there was a problem with the whole system about a week ago. The computer froze completely and the uesr was unable to boot. She took it to her costly service technician who managed to get the machine up and going again, but with registry issues.
    She asked me to have a look at the machine. The registry issues were to do with scanning software required at boot that was no longer on the PC. Fine.
    But there is also a problem with Publisher. She has two icons for Publisher. One for 2000 and one for 2003. If she uses the 2000 icon to open the program, she gets a message that says "Microsoft Publisher has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application." This machine has only one user.
    I followed the advice but got the same message. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and still the same problem.
    I tried to uninstall 2000 and then install 2003. On install, the 2003 disk only asks if I want to repair or remove my Updated System files. There is no entry for 2003 in the Add Remove Programs in Control Panel. If I try to repair the Updated System files it runs through what looks like the process, but then returns an error message that tells me that the Updated System Files I have are version 2.40.4275.1 and that I need 2.40.4277.1.
    Any clues about where I go from here?

Thanks

Re: Problems with updating from 2000 to 2003 (2000

How did you originally installed Publisher 2003 on a Win98 system? Office 2003 (of which Publisher is an optional component) requires Win 2000 (SP3), WinXP or Window Server 2003.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

you are right. The issue is with the 2002 version of Publisher.

Thanks

While MS does not recommend more than one version of Office installed on a computer (Publisher is an Office component), it can be done successfully by installing the older version first and then installing the newer version to a completely different directory than the older version. This does work. I have had at least 3 versions of Office installed on one machine with no problems, but you must install them this way.

I'm not sure if this is what you want or if you simply want Publisher 2003 on the system. If it is this that you want, it looks like you have remnants or incomplete installations of both versions. Try uninstalling Pub 2000 first. You also say that Pub2003 does not appear in the Add/Remove Programs list (even though you have tried to install it). The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility may help to resolve this problem. Follow the directions, then try to install Publisher 2003 again and post back with your results (hopefully successful).
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thnaks John.

I did not need the Installer Cleanup Utility. I did a bit more research on the MS KB and found article KB301064 which tells you to install the file
    filesosp1033ie5enoainst.exe from the Office disk.

This did the trick and I was able to re-install Publisher 2002. And I did it as an upgrade so that there is only one version on the computer.

Thanks for your help.