3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shutting Down on its Own (XP-SP2)

I have a user whose computer has been shutting down on its own. This has happened 3 or 4 times now in the past month. The user has several programs open (Outlook, IE, Excel, 3rd party industry software). He will get up and go out of his office, return in about 5 minutes or so to black monitor screens (dual monitors). When he checks the computer it is off. He will power on the computer and it comes up normally - no error messages about shutting down unexpectedly. Hibernation is not enabled. Monitor, hard disks & system standby are all set to never. Under Device Manager - allow this computer to turn off this device to save power is not checked. We configure all of our computers this way because of the 3rd party software we are running. Installed on this computer: Fujitsu ScanSnap, Lemark printer, & Logitech optical mouse. This computer was purchased new in 8/03. It crashed in 6/05 and the OS was reinstalled. Could this be a power supply problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Shutting Down on its Own (XP-SP2)

Presumably it is just coincidental that your user leaves the office when this happens? - i.e. will it happen if he sits there and watches the screen for 5 minutes?

Does it make any difference if there are no applications running?

I would expect a PSU problem to manifest itself at any time, not just when the system is being used. Are any of the open applications do backups automatically after x minutes of inactivity?

Have you checked the Event Log for any messages?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shutting Down on its Own (XP-SP2)

We have not been able to re-produce the problem. It happens randomly.

Applications are always running. We could test it but that would mean no work for him! Shutdown doesn't happen very day.

No automatic backups.

I've just now checked the Event Logs but I'm not sure what to look for. There are a number of errors in the System log. Source: Service Control Manager & W32Time. Event: 7011, 29. User: N/A