1. Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

How long does defragging an Information Store take

Yes, how long is a piece of string?!

Is there any way of estimating how long it might take to defrag an Exchange Server 2003 "priv1.edb" which is about 2 GB in size, probably hasn't been touched since it was first set up about a year ago, is on a fairly fast hard disk, with just enough free space to allow for the 110% extra for the defrag, where the server has 1 GB of memory and runs happily (usually) with a maximum of about 600-650 MB used?

If anyone has any stats of time taken vs. Information Store size for their own box, I'd be interested. I really need to know whether it will take 2 hours or 10 hours, so as to plan when to do it. I would prefer not to work at the weekend, and so would like to check if it would be necessary...

In addition, does the ESEUTIL /MS dump contain any useful information which might assist with the above question?

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How long does defragging an Information Store

I don't know how long it would take to defrag an prviate store. I've never done it, because it's normally not necessary or recomended, if I recall correctly. Your store is already defragmented every night during an "online" defrag. This rearranges all the blocks of the database, but doesn't shrink the file size. There's an event that gets logged after it does it's online defrag, but I can't seem to find it rigth now. I tells you in the event log how much free space is in the file. That's probably your best indicator of derfrag time. How much actual data you have that will need to be rewritten.

Usually, it's not recomended to do an off-line defrag, except if something really unusual is going on, like you've moved the bulk of the malboxes to a different store, or you really need to recover the extra space.

But the big issue is that an offline defrag requires that the you have to dimount the store. So, you will pretty much have to schedule this for a night weekend.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...tain/edbwp.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo...agmentation.asp

4. Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Jim.

I saw a recommendation somewhere that offline defragmentation of the Mailboxes databases should be done every three months or so. They haven't been touched for 18 months or so, I discover, so it seems worth seeing how long they take, even if this is just a one-off.

I did the Public Folders ones this morning, all 32 MB of them, and it took 28 seconds! I anticipate that tomorrow morning's effort on the 1.9 GB of mailboxes will take less than an hour, according to the suggestion in this article. This will enable it to finish before those few people who work Fridays get in! Allegedly...

My main problem is that some brainless loon decided, on setting up the server a couple of years' ago, that a 10 GB partition was plenty big enough for Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003 to live in. So my priv.edb is in 465 fragments!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ouch.. seeing as how the Exchange standard max size is 16 Gig, and it shuts down if it runs out of disk, that's a problem...

I've never defragmented my stores. Maybe 5+ years on the 5.5 server and 2+ after importing to the 2003. The only place that I've ever seen a recomendation for regular offline defrag was from a company that sold automatic exchange defraggging tools

6. Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Well, from my vast experience (!) this morning, I would recommend doing an offline defrag, because it took just 27 minutes to reduce my "priv1.edb" from 1.82 GB to 1.29 GB, and my "priv1.stm" from 908 MB to 752 MB. (The temporary databases were written to another partition on the same physical disk). "Not much reduction", you may say, but every little helps in a 10 GB partition!

I am not entirely clear what happens if in ESEUTIL I were to use the "/p" option and a proper 'temporary' database path (/tX:mdbdatapriv1.edb, say) to move the priv1 databases to another disk in the new defragmented format. When I mount the Information Store again, does it use the databases on the X: drive, or the original ones? If it uses those on the new drive, could I delete those (undefragmented) ones on the original partition?

Progressing from that, I could then do an ordinary partition defrag on the 10 GB partition, then move the Message databases back from the X: drive to the 10 GB drive, in an un-file-fragmented form...

I probably should read up more on how to move message databases...!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

7. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You know something? I think in 2003, you just copy the file where you want it, no need for ESEUtil.

Don't do this on my word alone, for I can't quite put my finger on supporting documentation right now but I think it goes something like this:

1. Open Exchange system manager to the mailbox store.

2. Dismount the store

3. Move the .edb file to where you want it.

4. Open the properties page of the store, in the database tab, point it to the new location.

5. Re-mount the store.

IIRC, this is about all there is too it.

8. Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Jim

I think you are pretty close, with the additional piece of data that you have to be very careful about the permissions of the MDBDATA directory -- I have just found <!mskb=821915>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 821915<!/mskb>...

Thanks!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...