New Lounger
    Thanks

CD ROMs unreadable on XP (XP home version)

Hi, I backed up all my documents and pictures from windows ME to CD-Rs. I have XP now and they are unreadable. I think it may have something to do with directCD. I think that's what I used but I'm not positive.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD ROMs unreadable on XP (XP home version)

Can you read them on the original computer, if you still have it? Or have you tried a friend's computer (any flavour)?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Hi Sheila and Welcome to the Lounge,

What program or software did you use to back up the files?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

I was able to read them when it was still working. I had to get a new computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't remember.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I just downloaded them directly to the CD. It may have been with DirectCD. I read somewhere that if done with DirectCD that it would be unreadable on computers without DirectCD. One possible solution offered was to go to the control panel and under performance change a setting to no-read access; howver I was unable to locate the setting in my computer.

Thanks

Well that doesn't help very much. I doubt that your problem has anything to do with Direct CD - it's a pretty standard tool. If, however, you used the built in Microsoft Backup applet within Windows ME, then you have a problem. Any backups that you may have made with that can only be read by another computer running Windows ME.
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm almost positive that it was DirectCD that I was using-This is part of the article I was reading form a web page that answers questions regarding CDs- "The following is an excerpt from an Adaptec readme.txt file. It talks about DirectCD, but the problem is inherent in all packet writing solutions:

"When the disc is in the native format used by DirectCD, you will only be able to read the disc on a CD-R device running DirectCD. This is a direct result of the technology used when writing to a CD-R disc. In order to make the disc readable on a standard CD-ROM DirectCD must write certain data to the disc. This provides compatibility with many of the current drives on the market today. Unfortunately, there are still a number of CD-ROM drives that cannot read the packet written media that DirectCD produces. If you experience problems in this area, you should go to System in Control Panel, select Performance, File System, CD-ROM and set the Access Pattern to "No Read-Ahead". If you still experience problems after making this adjustment, it is likely that the CD- ROM drive itself is having problems reading packet written media.
    It should also be noted that there is an industry initiative called MultiRead that addresses these issues and has the support of all the major vendors of CD-ROM and CD-R/RW devices. This initiative will eliminate the above problems and should be available on all new drives."

Assuming this is the problem, can you offer me any solutions or tell me how to set my computer to no-read access? I would really appreciate any help at all. I spent months scanning every single picture of my daughters (and other stuff of hers) and put it in a safe deposit box in case there was ever a fire. There is no way I'll ever have that much time again inorder to do it all over!

Thanks

Have a look at this site . Although a little dated, this page gives lots of information about Direct CD. If you didn't finalize the session when you originally wrote these CDs, they won't be readable on another system. I think you'll have to install Direct CD on your current system OR if you have a friend who has DirectCD, he or she may be able to finalize these disks for you so that you can access them on your system.
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. That site is very helpful. I didn't finish reading it all; however, I did read about how to close them and I definitely did close all of them. I will try installing directCD and see if that works.

Thanks

Yes, that would seem to be the easiest solution. Good Luck and post back with your results.
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks

I was just reading some more on that site and I may not need to get directCd if I set my computer to no read-ahead. Can you tell me how to do that?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

So far as I am aware, you cannot disable "read ahead" within Windows XP. This was something that appeared only in the Windows 9x/ME line of operating systems.
    -Mark