Thread: Metadata (2003)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Metadata (2003)

What is the easiest way to remove metadata? I thought I read that there is an add-on program that can be purchased. I have legal documents where this presents a problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Metadata (2003)

Microsoft has a free metadata remover: see Download details: Office 2003/XP Add-in: Remove Hidden Data

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans! That was the aritcle I was looking for.

Nancy

Thanks

There are a number of third party products that do more than Microsoft's. For example, we have a number of licenses for ezClean from KKL Software. (They might have fixed it by now, but the scanner reports a macro in every document, which generally is incorrect.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can you give me pro's and con's between the ezClean and Microsoft's products? I need to suggest software to a legal office that will completely remove the metadata.

The problem you metioned regarding the macro report - is that a problem with the MS office product or ezClean?

Thanks!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson meant that a) the non-free ezClean product does a more thorough job of removing metadata than Microsoft's free add-in, and [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] the version of ezClean his office uses incorrectly reports ALL documents to contain macros.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

What types of metadata would ezClean catch that MS wouldn't?

Is the incorrect reporting that all documents can macros significant? Is there a "fix" for this?

Knowing that " you get what you pay for", can you make a professional suggestion as to which product you would recommend to a legal office?

Maybe Jefferson might get in the look with this discussion.

I have not used this type of software yet so am counting on the professionals for advice.

Nancy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have any experience with either tool. Hopefully someone who does will chime in.

Thanks

I think the macro problem is related to an optional setting to require the declaration of variables. This results in two lines being added to any new module (the first is Option Explicit and the second line is blank). I can't remember for sure, but I think if you do not have this setting, ezClean properly detects that there are no macros. I think I reported this as a bug, but it doesn't really matter because the dialog that appears lists several categories of information and I've learned to ignore the macros one.

As for a comparison, you can download a trial version of ezClean and run a test to compare. The main features I think are important are control over what the tool does to your document (i.e., sometimes you want tracked changes to be visible to the recipient) and convenience of integration.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I really like Metadata Assistant by Payne Consulting. http://www.payneconsulting.com/products/metadataent/. The Enterprise version gives you a lot of control over what gets cleaned on scans. Its integration with Outlook can automatically scan attachments on send and you have control as to whether is automatic or not. At my firm we have it set to not scan on documents emailed internally but automatically to those going externally. If you only have a few users, the retail version does the same things except are not centrally controlled.