Silver Lounger
    Thanks

No Internet Explorer Information Bar (6/SP2)

When I did some downloading at MS the other day I noticed that a new WGA Validation Tool was out. I was prompted with the SP2-type download dialog, no problem, and the update went OK. But the page, during download and install of the WGA ActiveX Control, showed this:

"Depending on your version of Windows, the Web browser you are using, or your browser security setting, you may not see the Internet Explorer Information Bar displayed in your browser ..."

I know that I have not seen the Information Bar, almost since install (my changes). What security setting may toggle the information bar? I have for some few sites, as MS update et al, put them in Trusted sites zone. Then I have adjusted the settings slightly. The settings are almost as Normal, but with a few changes such as always prompt. It works great, but no Information Bar. I know it vanished when I changed the settings after install, only not what setting.

Of course if I set the Trusted zone back to standard "Normal", Default, I suppose I will get back the Information Bar.

(As to Internet zone; it is set with almost everything disabled.)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: No Internet Explorer Information Bar (6/SP2)

The question was: what security setting may toggle the information bar?

I don't think one single setting change this, but at least it would be nice to get some feedback.

Thanks

Not absolutely sure, but could it be the "prompt for ActiveX controls"?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John and thanks for reply,
    Yes, maybe the "Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls" or the "Automatic prompting for file downloads", both which are new in SP2.

I will see if I can check this somehow.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John, a short follow-up.
    Today I visited MU and it prompted me that before the scanning for updates it wanted to install an updated WGA (actually it says nothing about an updated version, guess they want to keep it simple).

So I thought, well an opportunity to test this once more. IE has been unchanged, but when I was at that site and got the message about a new WGA I changed the setting: "Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls" from enable to disable, then clicked download. I know sounds odd, should be enabled, but that was what I had before so I changed it to the other.

No information about the IE Information bar as mentioned in my first post, no Information bar, nothing. As download and install started the special dialog came and went. The page then informed me that the install was successful.

I know that I probably get everything back if I go back to default settings for this zone, Trusted sites, and set it to Low. And of course I could do that as a test, but downloading ActiveX controls is not something I do very often! Actually the only ones are related to MS updates; MU/WU/WGA and Office update, though if using MU there is only need for MU and WGA. My settings for this zone are only slightly more secure as I said before, and that

Thanks

Thanks Argus. Here is the MS explanation of the Information Bar.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions