2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restart Numbering Issues (2003/SP1)

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if there are still issues with the number of times you can restart numbeirng within a Word document? I know there used to be issues many versions back but it's been a while since any of our users have reported the issue...until now. I think previously, you could only restart numbering up to seven times within any one section of a document. I've had a look on Microsoft's pages but I could be there all month trawling through their articles!

Thanks in hope ; )

Violet

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restart Numbering Issues (2003/SP1)

Numbering in Word is always fragile, but in a quick test, restarting numbering 35 times within a section was no problem, so apparently this is not an issue any more.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I can qualify further what stated as being the problem earlier - where you have outline numbering say where level 1 = 1 level 2 = 1.1 and level 3 = (a). The scenario with the document is that within one clause e.g., clause 1, the user has restarted level 3 as many as 44 times, so perhaps the issue isn't how many times you can restart numbering within a section. Not sure if what I'm trying to say there is clear at all?!

Cheers

Violet

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When using outline numbering, it's very important to use numbered styles, preferably heading styles. If you try to modify the numbering manually, things can very easily go wrong.

See Shauna Kelly's How to create heading numbering and outline numbering in Microsoft Word and Why use Microsoft Word's built-in Heading styles?