New Lounger
    Thanks

ODBC connection with vba code on startup (2003)

Hello friends, It's my first time reading and posting here. I stumbled upon this site from google.

I am looking for a way to Create an ODBC connection with vba code and AutoExec it on startup? So that when the user clicks on my db application, he is automatically connected through ODBC.

I currently have this code, but it's not working. I still get "ODBC - connection to 'MY_SEVER' failed. prompting the user to setup their odbc connection. I run this code from the Autoexec macro. There's obviously something i am not doing right. Can anyone help me?

<code>Public Function RegSybase() As Boolean
    Dim ws As Workspace
    Dim db As Database
    Dim strConnection As String

Set ws = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)

Let strConnection = "ODBC;DSN=NY_HIG_LEND;NLN=Winsock;NA=lnbsdb88,XXXX ;DATABASE=sdfdfdfdj;UID=user;PWD=user"
    Set db = ws.OpenDatabase("", False, False, strConnection)

End Function

</code>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ODBC connection with vba code on startup (2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

What kind of database are you trying to connect to? And why don't you create linked tables manually? That way you won't have to reconnect in code.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    They are sybase tables.

I have linked the tables manually. the tables are already set.
    Even though there are linked tables in the appl. my users still get the connect to odbc dialogue.

So that's why i put that code to do it on startup. How do i connect to my server?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I hope someone else will jump in; I have no experience with connecting to Sybase.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry - I've been travelling most of the last two weeks, so apologies for not responding sooner. In order to help we will need some additional details. What ODBC driver are you trying to use? Sybase tables are closely related to SQL Server tables, but I'm not sure whether the Microsoft driver for SQL Server will work or not. Also, the ODBC data source must be defined on each PC that connects to the back-end, and the security model being used will need to be explored. You will probably want to define a user in Sybase for each person that connects to the database so you can identify who makes changes. Hope this helps.
    Wendell