Silver Lounger
    Springfield, Ohio, USA

OpenFileDialog (Excel 2000+)

For those of you that open multiple files with Excel, you may have noticed that on versions since 95, the Multiselect returns the file list in a random order instead of the order selected. I am trying to fix this by replacing it with the GetOpenFileName API with a hook that intercepts the WM_NOTIFY message and keeps its own internal list of filenames. I'm having trouble getting the file name. I need to send a message to someone, somehow to get it, but I'm having trouble figuring out the details.

OK, that's the big picture; here are the details. I started this months ago with, I believe, Hans's class wrapper for GetOpenFileName, see <post:=505,867>post 505,867</post:> and then got busy with other things.

To that beginning, I set the OFN_ENABLEHOOK Flag and added an lpfnHook procedure. So now whenever the user changes the file selection, a WM_NOTIFY message is sent to my hook proc, but I cannot figure out how to grab the filename.

I think that has the solution because he gets the filename in his hook procedure, but his is the most cryptic VB code that I have ever seen. His code that is pertinent is
    <pre>Function PosProc&(ByVal nCode&, ByVal wParam&, Inf As CWPSTRUCT)
    ' 11 lines of code left out
    Case &H4E 'WM_NOTIFY
    RtlMoveMemory NM, ByVal Inf.lParam, Len(NM)
    If NM.code = -12 Then
    S = String(255, Chr(0)): DoEvents
    SendMessage hw, 1125, 255, ByVal S
    S = Left(S, InStr(S, Chr(0)) - 1)
    Form1.T1 = Mid(S, InStrRev(S, "") + 1)
    Select Case LCase(Right(S, 3))
    Case "bmp", "jpg", "gif": Form1.P1.Picture = LoadPicture(S)
    End Select
    End If

However, my code for the hook is called differently
    <pre>Public Function OFNHookProc(ByVal hWnd As Long, _
    ByVal uMsg As Long, _
    ByVal wParam As Long, _
    ByVal lParam As Long) As Long
    ' 6 lines of code left out
    Case WM_NOTIFY
    Debug.Print " Notify"

Do I really need the CWPSTRUCT? Can I just send a message to the hWnd in my parameter list? What is 1125? I would rather use named constants. Any clue as to the other WM_ messages that I get? Thanks for any help! The workbook is attached. --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Platinum Lounger
    Weert, Limburg, Netherlands

Re: OpenFileDialog (Excel 2000+)

Maybe I'm being dim, but what is wrong with sorting the Variant array returned by the GetOpenFileName function?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    Professional Office Developers Association

Plutonium Lounger

Sam wants to retrieve the files in the order they were selected by the user, not in alphabetic or similar order.

Burwash, East Sussex, United Kingdom

You may want to look at this page and search for CDN_SELCHANGE, which I think is the type of WM_NOTIFY message you need to be looking at.

Microsoft MVP - Excel