New Lounger
    Thanks

Works converter (Word 2002 SP3)

On one computer I have Office XP installed with Service Pack 3 (under XP Pro SP2). When opening a Microsoft Works document (created in Works 7) in Word, I was getting a message saying "This file needs to be opened by the MS Works text converter, which may pose a security risk if the file you are opening is a malicious file.[...]" I got rid of this behavior by making the Registry change recommended in Technet article 840662 - this entails adding the key DoNotConfirmConverterSecurity with value of 1 at HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0WordOp tions and this change worked fine.

However, on another computer running the same version of Office with the same service pack, but running under XP Pro SP1, if I try to open the same Works document in Word, it says "Please select the encoding that makes this document readable". I know that the Works converter is installed because Works appears in the list of file types in the Open dialog.

Does anyone have any idea why I am getting different behavior here? Could the difference in the SP level of Windows be connected somehow?

Thanks
    Lewis Kapell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Works converter (Word 2002 SP3)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

See if "Confirm conversion at Open" has been set in the General tab of Tools | Options... on the other computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The 'confirm conversion at open' option is not selected on either computer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In that case, I don't know what causes this. I doubt that it has to do with Windows XP SP1 vs SP2, though.

Thanks

Is it possible that the two computers do not have all the same security patches?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Office Update has been run on both computers recently, so the Office patches are the same. The Windows patches are not at the same level, as indicated in my first post.