2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bizarre printing problem (2003 / XP)

I have a workbook with 27 sheets, half of which are chart sheets. It has about a dozen data sheets, which use queries to retrieve data from an Access database and then automatically update the charts. Neato!

I have inserted a custom footer, consisting of an embedded metafile graphic, for all the sheets which are to be printed. (I used the GUI, selecting Insert Picture and browsing to the graphic file.)

Everything looks fine in Excel print preview. BUT

When I send the print job to the Adobe pdf printer, only the worksheet footers print. The chart sheet footers disappear - both from the Adobe file and from the Excel workbook! I'm using the entire workbook option, which does print all the visible sheets - just not the footers.

Do you think that perhaps the graphics aren't being embedded, only linked, and that the links are somehow being broken during the print process? Or, could it be that Adobe is somehow choking on the amount of data being sent to the printer? (A single test chart sheet does print to Adobe with its footer, but I need it all in one file.)

FYI, the workbook contains VBA code which "shouldn't" affect printing, right???

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Thanks

Re: Bizarre printing problem (2003 / XP)

Does it work if you send it to another printer (not the pdf driver)?

If so that would indicate the problem is most likely not with excel but with the driver. You might try to obtain a newer version of the diriver or speak to Adobe (or whomever wrote the driver) about fixing the problem with their driver

<hr>the workbook contains VBA code which "shouldn't" affect printing, right???<hr>

VBA code can affect printing: it depends on the code. You could open the file with macros disabled and see if it affects the problem if this is a concern.

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it prints okay on the regular printer. Thanks for the tip - I'll check with Adobe re: the driver.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem has been resolved by two changes. First, I upgraded to Adobe 7. This worked fine when sending to print manually, but using the printout method still caused the footers to disappear from the chart pages, both in the pdf and Excel.

The second change was to delete the custom footer and re-create it as a regular footer. Don't ask me why, but it works now!

Thanks for your help.

FYI, if you have trouble printing out the entire workbook to a single file, it is probably because not all the sheets have the same print quality. For some unknown reason, this causes Adobe to create multiple files.