Thread: network failure

New Lounger
    Thanks

network failure

I have a home network set up with 3 computers--2 desktops (XP Pro & Win 98SE) and a laptop (XP Pro). The XP Pro desktop has an ethernet connection to the Linksys WRT54G, the other 2 have a wireless connection. Both desktops have printers attached to them, set up to share. The network has been up and running since May, with everyone able to access files on the other 2 computers, as well as the printers. All connect to the internet.

Two days ago, I printed from the laptop to one of the printers around 7 PM, but at 10PM, I couldn't print to that printer, or see any of the files on either desktop. After a couple restarts on the laptop, I could finally see the Win 98SE desktop, but not the XP. Since then, access to the Win98 has ceased, and to the other XP Pro is sporadic at best. I can't find any pattern to when I'm able to see the XP desktop vs. not access it. Sometimes going in through Network places works, sometimes I can "force" the connection with <name> in the address bar. Sometimes I go out to run errands, and when I get home it decides to connect for a while. then lose it. Connecting from the laptop to the Win98 hasn't happened since that first night, though, and neither of the desktops have been able to see files on the laptop since that night, though the laptop does show up sometimes in the workgroup list on both of them. The desktops sometimes show up in the laptop's list, but not always, and when they do show up, it's no guarantee I can access files or printers. I'll get an error of: "<name> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

All computers have unique names and are in the MSHOME workgroup. It makes no difference if the XP firewall is on or off. Nothing new has been installed on any of them, to my knowledge. I've read through some of the other threads on this board, but most of them involve trying to set up new networks, not problems in a network that was previously working. The laptop can ping itself by computer name, and the router by IP address, and the other computers by IP address (but not by name). The XP desktop can ping the Win98 desktop by name, but not the laptop, though it can ping the laptop by IP address. The Win 98 can ping the other desktop by name, and the laptop by IP address. So they are talking to each other in some fashion, just not the way I'd like them to.

I've checked the permissions set up on the laptop, and don't see anything there, or with the permissions on the other 2 computers. I've downloaded the WinsockXPfix.exe program mentioned, but haven't run it yet. Any ideas are welcome.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: network failure

What firewall are you running?
    And have you entered the IP addresses of each machine into the permissions of all of the other machines?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: network failure

Just the XP firewall on the 2 XPs, and the router firewall. I didn't see any place to enter the IP addresses into the permissions, so no, but up until 2 days ago, it was working fine.

I powered down the computers for a storm passing through tonight, and now the XP desktop won't come up in Windows--just Safe Mode. So right now I've got bigger issues to deal with. But I'll keep checking the board for when I'm ready to come back to this. Thanks for your reply