2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error 678 - cannot connect to Internet (SP2)

A friend has lost Internet connectivity on the family PC. They always get a Page not Found message. I talked to the ISP tech support for the DSL modem. IPConfig/all shows an address of 000.000.000. ipconfig/renew gives an error message "access denied". The support person said the NIC software is corrupted and I need to speak to the hardware manufacturer. How can I restore the NIC drivers? One of the family said she tried to create a new network connection, but got the Error 678 message.
    However, a laptop connected to their wireless network CAN connect to the Interent.
    Any thoughts?
    TIA
    Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error 678 - cannot connect to Internet (SP2)

First I thought that maybe the NIC is disabled, but then nothing would show up in ipconfig. Have a look at this MSKB.

You may receive Error 678 or Error 769 when you try to connect to the Internet or when you try to browse the Internet after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

There are several steps you can try, staring with some simple checks. As for drivers, many are included in Windows XP, but sometimes it is better to use specific drivers for the NIC brand. So if you either have the driver on a floppy/CD or download them, you can follow the instructions in step 4 to reinstall. If Windows recognize the NIC, drivers will be installed. You can of course later update the drivers also by right-clicking the NIC in the Device Manager.