Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fast User Switching stopped working (XP-SP2)

I used to be able to use the Logoff (Win-L) and switch to another user. Then it stopped working. If I try to switch it makes an effort and then comes back to the same logon screen. I can logon to the same user, but can't switch without restarting Windows.

I double checked that "change the way users logon" was set properly, and I *do* still see the logon screen with both users as I always did, but it just doesn't work. BTW, this is very useful because my primary use is as a Limited User, but I need to switch to an Admin acct in order to, for instance, install a program. So it's a very good bit of a pain that I can't do it anymore. Any ideas?

Callie
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke

Thanks

Re: Fast User Switching stopped working (XP-SP2)

How much RAM do you have?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have 512 RAM Total Physical Memory.

But I see that Available Physical Memory is only 151.22 MB, not that I know what that means, but it sounds ominous --- especially since you zeroed in on that question. Also, now that you mention it, I guess everything *has* been somewhat slower.

I see I have a LOT of "running tasks" but they're all things I meant to have --- nothing sneaky going on. And I've disabled some of the programs that were in Startup by way of msconfig, but in the System Information I see that Startup Programs is not only longer than I'd thought BUT there are also a lot of duplicate entries. I seem to remember reading somewhere that some processes do need more than one copy of themselves.

Hmm. Looking on my Task Manager/Performance, I see that under Physical Memory, the System Cache shows 191MB and Available only 88MB.

While I'm in System Information, I might as well mention the Processor: AMD x86 Family ~1852 Mhz.

Anything else you can think of ?

Thanks, Callie
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the resource. UNfortunately, none of those fit my situation. I *had* read that MS article actually. My Welcome and Logon screen are there, and I can even type the password for the other user, but then it just blinks back to the Logon screen and I can only go back into the user I was.

However, one phrase in the MS KB article did catch my eye, since you had asked about RAM:

"The Fast User Switching feature may not work if there is not enough available computer resources to create a new Winlogon service thread. In this case, some users must log off the computer, or you must close some programs to free up computer resources."

What I'm wondering is what all those duplicate entries might mean in running tasks. And what does that Physical Memory vs Available Memory mean? Is one of THOSE the resources problem? If they are, the next question is what do I do to fix them.

Callie
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not quite sure if this helps, but did you look at your swapping space. Right click on My Computer, select properties and then advanced. Under performance you can set the swap space (on the advanced tab again) . Maybe you should let windows decide about the size.

Thanks

I'm afraid I don't know enough about memory use to offer good advice, but 88Mb sounds pretty low.

How many processes do you have running immediately after you start up?
    What is the Commit Charge figure on the status bar of TaskManager?
    How big is your swap file?
    How much free space to you have on the hard drive your swap file is on?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, 88 MB sounded pretty low to me too, for what it's worth. The rest of what you said, the only part I understood was the Commit Charge (No actually, I *don't* understand it, but I did find it on the status bar of the Task Mgr). It says 421M/1248M. There are 58 processes at the moment, but I'm not sure how many there would be if I had just started. I'll have to restart and see. Which I have to do anyway because I have to sign in as Admin in order to make any changes or inquiries into Swap file settings etc.
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke

Star Lounger
    Thanks

PS the problem with the FUS came up again on another discussion/post <post#=559416>post 559416</post#> and after making some changes in clearing and cleaning, my Fast User Switching is working again. Thanks for all your help.

Callie
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke