Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems as Limited User

I would like to know how to install a program and make sure it works for ALL users and not just for the one that's installing it. Some of the anti-spyware, anti-virus etc aren't running and aren't automatically updating when I'm not signed as an the Admin user that installed them. Since it's only some of them that are doing that, I'm thinking it's probably something to take up with the individual vendors?

The workaround I've been using is to give Admin privileges to the LUA acct long enough to install the program for it, then put them back to Limited. But that's rather tedious and if I want a program to be available to ALL users, it seems there must be a way that I don't know about. I found an article Why Don't Installed Programs Show Up for All Users? but I didn't like his answer because he said it might not work, no matter what you did, if the mfr of the program didn't make it an option.

I particularly want my anti-whatever programs to be working ALL the time. Anyone have any suggestions?

Callie
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Problems as Limited User

Unfortunately you have to check with each software vendor. If they did not design the program to work in the XP multiuser environment you are probably out of luck. But, the vendor should be the authority on the subject. If they have forums available you should check there.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I know of very few people that are using the "Limited" accounts except for the control of what programs children will use.

If one has taken the care in running a GOOD firewall, AV and anti pop up program, the the limited use account is nothing but a lot of headaches as you have found out. There is a LOT of software that is designed to be run as single user and the only way to be sure before buying, is to contact the maker.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm, "If they did not design the program to work in the XP multiuser environment " --- which they obviously didn't or it would have been obvious either during installation where I'd make some sort of choice, or else later where I'd see that all users could run the program. That's the gist of that article too, darn.

Thanks,

Callie
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sure you're right that very few people have delved into the LUA business without a compelling reason (like protecting their kids). However, it's something that needs to be addressed since a huge proportion of computers are being used by people who are pretty much clueless --- after all, did the guy who sold them the computer tell them how complicated it was to have good security? (or did they/do they even know they *need* anything for security??). So I'm glad that Vista will default to Limited --- the vendors will HAVE to make the whole thing "easier" since that great horde will have to be able to cope.

Personally, although I agree that the LUA idea isn't very functional as is, I'm a belt and suspenders sort of person and am paranoid enough to want to jump through the hoops. Of course, he doesn't have the kinds of problems I have, but I figure I'm in good company with Aaron Margosis.

Callie
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke