Star Lounger
    Thanks

Puzzling window behaviour in Firefox (Firefox 1.5.

I suspect that most quesitons about Firefox behavior is going to be hard to pin down because of all the possible extensions --- I know I sure have a lot of them (that I can't live without of course). Anyway, it seems that this puzzling behaviour is more generic to the way Windows handles the browser window ---- at least, I hope so.

What happens is that if I maximize the Firefox window and then close it, when it opens again it's in the Restore position NOT maximized. Most the time I just live with it by dragging it out to almost full screen size (imitating "maximized") but sometimes, for instance if I tile it with another window, it's a pain that I can't just hit the Maximize button. You know how these little things can just BUG you....

Any ideas?

Callie
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Puzzling window behaviour in Firefox (Firefox

If you are opening Firefox from a shortcut you can change the properties of the shortcut to always open Firefox as maximized. (Right click on the shortcut, select properties and change the Run option on the shortcut tab)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I tried that but the "shortcut" that's on the Quick Launch isn't really a shortcut so it doesn't have Properties that I can change. I keep meaning to see if I can get some other shortcut down there instead, but have to do the Admin/LUA dance and keep forgetting about it. Thanks for the reminder.'

Callie
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you hold down the SHIFT key when minimizing or restoring down, and then re-opening the browser? It should "remember" its last position.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad to see Tony's suggestion, for I too have this problem. I think my FF shortcut on my QL bar was created by ME right-dragging the EXE to a shortcut on my desktop and then right-dragging that to move it to the QL bar. In any event, mine has the correct properties so I think I'll try Tony's suggestion.

I also have your "restored size" problem and I admit that I'm not yet even running 1.5, and I have NO extensions loaded - my FF is plain-vanilla. I maximize the window and somewhere along the line when I don't notice it, the dang window is in restore size. Like you, I had previously dragged the restore size to a very large position, so sometimes I don't even notice the change for awhile. I also have no popup blocking in place and every once in awhile a popup will cause my FF screen to shrink to about half the screen size. I click the maximize button and the cycle starts all over again. An annoyance I've been just putting up with.

Lounger
    Thanks

The shortcut method seems to work...window size..for me anyway(XP Pro, FF 1.5). I open off the quick launch bar usually though, and I don't seem to have a problem holding size there either.
    Regarding j2callie's comment on quicklaunch shortcut properties, I keep a folder in mydocs with shortcuts to all my frequently used programs sorted into folders by type. I then drag folder to QL Bar as a shortcut. TaDA...editable shortcut properties and organized/uncluttered QL bar.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nice idea to organize the QL shortcuts. I also thought one day I'd get around to making a toolbar for the taskbar. BTW, the window behavior seems to have fixed itself. Go figure. Thanks for the input/suggestions.

Callie
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke