3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File names open other files? (Windows XP Pro)

I am posting this on behalf of a friend who asked me this question. I have no idea what he's experiencing, so I thought I would throw it out to the general public to see what you guys said. Let me know if anyone has any ideas, things he should check, etc. Thanks - Sat.

hey, I got a weird "issue" i want to run past you...

my computer at home, Win XP professional, 2 harddrives IDE 0 40 gig with 4 gig free IDE1 80gig with 52gig free. the 2nd harddrive is where my "My Documents" are stored (i changed the path from the windows default to point it to my storage drive). the problem i'm having is crazy...
    the files on this drive seem to get screwed up... sometimes songs or pictures ( these are the 2 types of files that we deal with on the drive 90% of the time) seem to get indexed wrong or something...
    for example... a few weeks ago, we had a folder with 10 mp3's in it...i checked the songs and they were all correct... i copied them to another location. i then went to play those mp3's and though the file name was correct the song behind that was WRONG. some of the files were playing other songs that were in that directory... at least one file pointed to a song that was NOT even in that folder... so the song name SAID it was, for example, "Tim McGraw would you like fries with that.mp3" but when i open and play the song it plays "Brad Paisley Gone Fishing". so I open the brad paisley file to see what it does and it plays some other song like "brooks and dunn" I believe.
    we were having similar problems with images, we would move them from our digital camera, and the pictures were fine... then copy something to or from that folder and then some of the images were changed... all the file names were still there, but when you opened one you get the wrong picture.
    i ran every kind of harddisk scan i could, including chkdsk and about 4 or 5 disk checks offered by Ultimate Boot CD. They all said the drive was fine.
    i made sure symantec was up to date and ran virus scan, no viruses found, ran Microsoft Anti-spyware, nothing, ran Ad-aware personal nothing, ran SpyBot nothing.
    i noticed the drive was Fat32 and thought maybe that was the problem, so i moved everything off of that drive and killed the partition made it NTFS and put everything back on it.
    last night, we moved some pictures from our digital camera to the drive, opened them and they where there and looked good. Opened NERO to burn them to cd, browsed to the folder and they were not there. reopened windows explorer, went to the folder called "Need To Move" where the files were and there were no images there. the new ones that we had just put there were gone and the images that had been there for weeks were gone too. BUT there was a new sub folder, called "Need To Move". I opened that folder, it contained only a single subfolder called "Need To Move"
    i openened i think it was 24 "Need To Move" subfolders before i finally got to the end and found all the pictures there safe and sound.
    there is absolutely no way i accidently created 24 subfolders.
    if it were not happening to me i would SWEAR it was user error but i know it's not... i don't think the fact that i have on 4 gig free on my C drive should be a problem...
    i guess the hard drive COULD be going bad or having problems... but it seems weird that hardware would cause this type of problem...
    i don't know know if the same things would happen on my C drive, we only use C for programs/installs we don't do allow of file copying/moving and such on C
    the problem is not something i can just "reproduce" everytime... it just seems to happen during standard daily stuff.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: File names open other files? (Windows XP Pro)

What Xp service pack is installed? Is your OS fully patched? Did you follow the directions in How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder to change the location? What else have you added or changed on the system?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I think the nature of the problem is which way files were copied and moved. I am sure that in many cases shortcuts were created instead of copies of the files. Tell user when copying/moving files, after selecting files to use Ctrl-C / Ctrl - X and Ctrl - V keys on the keyboard or Edit | Cut / Copy and Edit | Paste commands on the menu instead of dragging and dropping.

In addition, when the user listened to mp3 files, the player (Windows Media Player, for example) displays the "song name" (from embedded string or from Internet database) instead of the actual filename, which may or may not correspond to each other. Right-click mp3.file, from pop-up menu choose Properties, click Summary tab, then Advanced button and you will see the song name in the Title entry under Description section. You can compare it with actual file name under General tab. Another cause of the problem can be errors in the playlists. When you are listening the inserted CD, song names displayed in WMP are downloaded from the Internet database, which may have errors. This way, the song name displayed may not correspond to the actual soundtrack on the CD, and if you use WMP to rip ths soundtrack, the error persists and will be embedded into mp3 file. You need manually correct such errors.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am the one who is having this problem...
    i generally use ctl-x ctrl-c ctrl v for my copy/paste steps. but the problems are not always with the files I copy/paste... the problems seem to affect (seemingly at random) files within the folder where i perform some action such as a copy/paste, create new file, rename file etc. for example, the time that a rash of subdirectories was created, new files i had just copied in, as well as files that had been around for weeks were affected. One time all i was doing was prefixing the filenames with numbers(so that windows sort by name would show them in an order that i wanted) after i finished numbering the songs, they were all mixed up. prior to me numbering the songs, they were all working perfectly. after the file pointers were messed up, files were pointing to other songs within the same folder but one song was pointing to an mp3 that i had not accessed in months and that song was in an entirely different folder.
    i have XP Pro SP 2 installed, and i regularly run my windows updates. when i play the mp3's, they have no mp3 tagged information on them, and i have Media player set to NOT download information from the internet. so the only thing media player is displaying is the file name. if i copy the file to another computer on my network the file is still wrong. It appears to me, once the "pointer" is messed up, then that's it, there seems to be no way for me to "restore" the correct content for the file name. Again, this happens with pictures too, not just music. And i generally only use this drive for pictures and music that's probably why no other file type have had problems.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

How long is the absolute path to your files? The path as "D:My documentsMy picturesFolder1folder2 ... Very funny picture 1.jpg" could not extend 256 characters. If it is longer, in some cases it can produce problems similar to yours.

New Lounger
    Thanks

the path to the files where i am working is very short:
    D:My DocumentsMy PicuturesNeedToMove
    but would i still get problems if i had OTHER files on that drive longer than 256? i don't know that i do but it is possible that somewhere on that drive is a file longer than 256, would that file cause problems for files in other folders, or just for itself?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is really bizzare! To help me understand your setup a bit better can you explain how you moved My Documents to the D: drive? Was it drag and drop, or TweakUI, or regedit? Do you have any unusual hardware? What utilities do you use for backup, defrag, system optimisation or anything else that could affect the overall system?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

I moved the documents to my d drive over a year ago just by right-clicking the Mydocuments folder, changing the location and allowing the WinXp to move the files to the new location
    I do not have any unusual hardware, my hardware has been the same for about 2 years and this problem has only started in the last month or 2
    I use a linksys NSLU2 to perform backups from my D drive to the network storage. i've had that setup and running for about 8 months or so.
    i have made no hardware changes recently, no major software changes either. i'm considering replacing that harddrive, even though i do not think it's the drive itself, i might replace it anyway. i've been using sysinternals "FileMon" software lately to monitor my HD activity to make sure there was nothing "suspicious" accessing the drive... i did not find anything.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I cannot imagine what might be causing this. Please let us know if you ever find out.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Just to make sure that all is correct - open Registry Editor (Start | Run, type REGEDIT and hit Enter), navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerShell Folders

and check "Personal" (that is "My Documents"), "My Music" and "My Pictures" values - are they pointing to D:My Documents, D:My DocumentsMy Music and D:My DocumentsMy Pictures respectively?

New Lounger
    Thanks

yes, I checked and my registry entries correctly map the folders to my D-Drive