Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Transfer (XP Pro )

Hi,

I am juggling three computers. I had a Laptop with XP Pro, Office suite and much other software. This machine is toast. I attempted to transfer all my laptop software to my old unused pentium III desktop. Microsoft said no, already installed elsewhere.

Upgraded old desktop to XP home and got my web access back.

I now have a new laptop with XP Home. How do I transfer my XP Pro/office etc to the new machine? I need to unregister from the old thinkpad, scrap it and reregister to my new Toshiba. I don't see a way how.

Thanks,

Chris

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Windows Transfer (XP Pro )

If the software came with the computer as OEM software, it can NOT be removed and installed on a different machine.
    What software and versions are you trying to move over?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding. I have a Windows XP Pro version 2002 master disk and a complete suite of MS Office XP Professional. Also Visual Studio/MS Publisher etc etc etc. The disks are labelled "not for retail or OEM Distribution". I have all the personal Product Keys.

Laptop will come up for about five minutes at a time and then freeze so I am not sure I can manage an uninstall. I assume I am registered via the MAC address? I am only one user with hardware problems. Don't tell me I have to purchase all this stuff again?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

These CD's are Microsoft type and NOT from a computer maker, then you should be able to install the programs, NOT Windows XP, on the new machine. On attivation, you may need to call MS and explain that you have removed it from old machine and installing on a new one.

A Windows OS is NOT to be moved to another machine, unless you bought the retail version. If it is the retail version, you will need to activate it by phone and may even may need to call and talk to some one at MS.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.