Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 Slow (11.8002.6568 SP2)

I installed Outlook 2003 after running Outlook 2000 for some several years but I found it ran very slowly. The Australian PC World March 2006 issue ran a very useful "Gunk Buster" article by Woody Leonhard which alerted me to the probable cause : the 2000 file was still being used by the 2003 programme. The article gave details of how to fix this, but despite several repeats of the process the old file is still in place.

Can anyone help me to fiix this problem ?

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 Slow (11.8002.6568 SP2)

What have you tried so far? Did you copy everything you want to save into a new file, and now two Personal Folders files appear in the File List pane, and you want to close the old one?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 Slow (11.8002.6568 SP2)

Tks for your question. I followed the steps in Woody's article in PC World ie I renamed Outlook.pst and re-started Outlook which asked if I wanted a new Personal Folders file. Answer YES and I found the old Personal folders file and a new empty PF folder. As instructed, I dragged the old subfolders into the new PF, which now contains all my data. I then closed the old PF folder. However on examining the properties of the new PF folder I found that under the Advanced tab, the file in use remains as Outlook 97-2002 and not a new Outlook 2003 version.

I have run scanpst.exe and repaired all folders and have archived all old data and compacted the files, but Outlook still takes nearly a minute to open a small message, and comparing its performance to a similar installation on the same speed machine of my daughter's I am way down in the very slow lane !

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards
    DAVID MILLS