Thread: Backup Software

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Backup Software

There's a thread in the Windows 2000 forum in which I made <post:=557,052>post 557,052</post:>. I'm going to make an edit to that post with a pointer to this one since I've learned a little something about the software in question. (In that post I also referenced a backup program that Woody recommends.)

It seems that the software I've been using for nightly, selected file backup has changed its web address and when I went searching about, I came upon a site that has a product with the same basic name, but appears to be a completely different company. Ironically, the purchase prices are significantly different, although not expensive (my opinion only). So, just for reference here's the two links:

NTI Software - Best Ultimate CD & DVD Burning software (The one I've been using - NTI Backup NOW!)

BackupNow is a professional data backup program for Windows (A screenshot calls it CI Host Backup Now)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Backup Software

I don't understand what you are using this software for. TI 2337 allows you to backup selected files and folders.

Also, Windows built-in Backup will allow the same thing for free.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good for you and good luck with it. Windows backup has never been satisfactory to me and I suspect I'm not alone in that opinion. You can see why if you do a little searching. TrueImage and DriveImage before it have never done individual file backups until the current TI release. In my case that's still a work-in-progress since my attempts so far have all failed and I've only recently installed Build 2337. By the way, I've been using NTI BackupNow for more than three years.

Thanks

Curious - WHY has Windows backup not worked for you? WHAT has it not done? Did it not do this "something" once or many times?

I've used Windows Backup since Win2k back around 2001 and I've used it into WinXP w/o problems. The VSS (Volume Shadow Service) which allows backup of in-use files and which came with Win2K was what made Windows Backup usable.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My problem with Windows backup has always been the fact that you have to restore from the same version of Windows that you used to do the backup. If I use a different tool then I can backup on one version of Windows and restore files to a completely different Windows operating system.

My personal choice for the last few years has been .BAT files using WinZIP Command Line to create .ZIP files.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Just out of interest Al, have you tried Karen's Replicator? I've heard good reports, but it may also have its shortcomings.

Alan

Thanks

I don't know if this problem has been fixed with Replicator, but years ago when I used it, it was unable to back up files that were in use. This will be noted in the log file. I discovered this problem when I found that I needed a file that didn't get backed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I too have recommended it to people as a starting point. I wanted a program with a click-to-choose gui and with Karen's program you have to create filters to get 'only' certain files in a directory. Haven't looked at its inner workings for awhile.

Thanks

One of the things that Windows backup won't do is write the backup directly to a CD (unless you use packet writing software like Nero's InCD or Roxio's Direct CD). And in its newer versions it doesn't compress the data. Following recommendations in the Lounge, I use Zip Backup. Details here. One of its advantages is that the backup is a Zip file, so easily accessible.

Ian