Thread: Copy Form (2K3)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Copy Form (2K3)

This is absolutely maddening...I think.

I have been teaching some students this morning and was explaining methods of form navigation when I wanted to show them a little trick for menus. In previous versions of Access when I demonstrated this it worked perfectly but not in 2K3.

What I would do was create an unbound form, change it properties as I wanted them and save it as frmMainMenu and close it, then copy and paste it and rename it when it asked. This provides me with identically sized and positioned menus that I can then add navigation to it and not have "jumpy" menus.

I was just doing this in front of the students as small demo and when I tried it it appeared the copied menu had moved down by 4 pixels and to the right by 4 pixels.

Am I missing something here or is it a quirk of 2K3...your thoughts
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy Form (2K3)

Did you remember to set the Auto Center property of the form to Yes?

BTW why don't you use the Switchboard Manager to create a single menu form? If you don't like the way it looks, you can tweak the formatting any way you want. You can even change or expand the way it works by editing the VBA code behind the form.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I selected
    Auto center - Yes

and have no borders, no navigation, no auto resize, no dividing lines, no close buttons.

On the subject of switchboards, the college has set the course requirements for the final marked assesments to unbound forms only for menus as there is a VB aspect to the navigation and this is a good way of getting them to use it.
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'll have to wait until Monday to check the behaviour you describe in Access 2003 (I have 2002 at home, 2003 at work).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I am still playing with the form while they do some work, I'll get back with a solution if I find it.
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by "jumpy menus". Are you opening all these menus at once? If so, why not use a form with tab pages with the tab buttons set to none and embed each menu on a page. That will force them to show up in the right location and reduce your navigation code a bunch. We frequently use this method for alternate subforms.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I see the problem in Access 2003. Apparently, Access is trying to "help" by making sure that each form is visible.
    I'd recommend an approach as suggested by Charlotte - it's much cleaner, and will still force your students to use VBA.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans/Charlotte

Obviously too late now but it will mean I change the approach now for teaching this method in the future. Interesting idea Charlotte has mentioned and one I had never thought of.
    Jerry