5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Headphones for TV!

I know this is totally off the subject for this forum but a lot of knowledgeable people can be found here so I'm going to ask anyway. I got Sennheiser RS 120 headphones for Christmas for the purpose of listening to my TV under either of two conditions: 1) leave the speaker sound off so it won't bother my wife who is watching a different channel in the next room, or 2) be able to set my own volume (louder) while my wife listens to the speakers at her volume. However, I've found that my TV does not have a constant volume output and the only sound output jacks that it does have are in use. The TV sound is fed to a tuner/amplifier and from there to the speakers. I thought that if I could plug the headphones into the TV output then the amplifier could be turned off or its volume adjusted by my wife to achieve my objectives.

Can I connect both the headphone input and the tuner/amplifier input to the same TV output jacks?

Thanks,
    Bill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Headphones for TV!

It would depend on the physical connections of the headphones and the cable running to the amplifier. I'm assuming that the cable for the amplifier is the standard RCA Left (white) and Right (red) wires, and your headphones would be a 1/8"or 1/4" phono plug. If that's indeed the case, you'll want to visit your local electronics store to have them help you out, as you'll most likely need 2 or 3 adapters in succession to accomplish your goal.
    Christopher Baldrey

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,

I do have the RCA red and white plugs on both the feed to the amplifier and the feed to the wireless headphones base unit. I'll certainly look at Radio Shack for adapters but I can probably make an adapter if I have to. I was really more worried about the electrical effect of connecting two loads where one was supposed to be used. I guess that will just cut the load impedance in half and maybe that won't hurt anything.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Bill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I think you're good to go with the y-adapters then Bill. I myself had wireless headphones a while back, and that was the suggested method for connection to my setero system at that time.
    Christopher Baldrey

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I found the Y connectors at Radio Shack and they look they will do the job perfectly. I haven't had a chance to install them yet.

Thanks,
    Bill