5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Setting up forms (Access 2K)

I am sorry to post such dumb questions, but I get so frustrated with Access. Setting up tables is a doddle; making the forms do what I want them to seems impossible (to me that is)
    I am trying to write a database to deal with club membership. I want a form with a field into which the secretary can type a membership number; I want the following behaviours.
    <UL><LI>On entry I want the form to be empty ie all fields blank.
    <LI>When a membership number is typed in, if the number maps on to a member who is already in the DB, I want the data to be put in the fields (so it can be amended if necessary).
    <LI>If the membership number is not recognised, I want the form to remain blank so the details of the new member can be captured and a new record produced.[/list]As things stand at the moment, I have a form which has a membership no field as a combo box bound to the MembershipDetail table which is supposed to go to the record corresponding to the membership number (produced using the toolbox 'add a combo box' wizard).
    On entry, the form displays the details of the first record in the MembershipDetail table - but not the membership number.
    I cannot produce (I have tried, believe me I have tried) the Visual Basic to clear each field if the membership number is not in the list (via the Not in List event procedure)
    If I set the Data Entry attribute for the form, the form appears with all fields blank, but when when a membership number is entered, it errors 'No current record'

Can any lounger help with instructions of one syllable to enable me to produce this form, please.
    Thanks
    Silverback
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting up forms (Access 2K)

To open the form on a blank record, use the On Load event of the form to move to a new record.

You cannot use a bound control to search for records. You'll have to use an unbound combo box with a bit of VBA code.

I have attached a database with a demo form. Look at the code behind the form to see how it is done. Note: if you want to use this in your own database, you must select Tools | References... in the Visual Basic Editor and tick the check box for the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library.

Don't hesitate to ask further questions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    Once again, I am indebted to you and your knowledge of Access; your solution worked perfectly.
    I do wish that these things didn
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have no plans for writing a book about Access (or about anything else, for that matter).