Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Failed ethernet connection (xP Home 2)

My ethernet connection no longer connects on my laptop. I bought an new PCMCIA Network adapter, but no success. When I go through the installation process it cannot renew my IP address (in both the original built in connection and in the new adapter. What do you suggest?

kdoc

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Failed ethernet connection (xP Home 2)

You haven't given us enough information to understand whether this is a problem with your computer or your network.

Does this happen when you connect your computer to any network, or have you only tried it on one?
    Do other computers work on the network where your computer doesn't?

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Also: what is the status of your network connections when you open Network Connections window from Control Panel (or Start | Run, typing NCPA.CPL and hitting Enter)? What happens when you start Create New Connection wizard from this window? What does it mean that you "cannot renew" IP address - does it mean that you still receive auto-configuration 169.254.xxx.xxx address, or you get another error message after running ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew commands?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm connecting the laptop to the same connection that my desktop works well on...so it's not the connection.

kdoc

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I'm busy much of the day, and will try what you suggest today or tomorrow when I've a moment. When I previously opened network connections, and then LAN, there were no packets sent or received. Somewhere I clicked activate (but not new connection wizard), and I got that message, and did NOT receive an address like 169.254 etc. Incidentally, I have a wired router to which two desktops are connected, and both work fine. I've never quite understood the system once the router was included...that new number you type in thingy). I've been sure to set my Network Connection TCPIP properties to the same as my desktop. I'll get back to you in a day or so, but in the interim, if there's anything more you understand and want to communicate, please do so.

Thank you.

kdoc

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Addendum: Now that I think of it,I must have gotten into the New Connection wizard when I installed the adapter, becaue I now have another LAN showing up, one relating specifically to the Netgear new adapter. And it was with the actvation of that, that I got the message "Windows (XP home btw) cannot renew your IP address."

kdoc

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's a good start, knowing that you're using a known working connection.

A few more things to try. There should be a green led near where you plug the Ethernet cable, does this turn on when you connect the cable? If so then you probably have a good physical connection. When you connect the laptop are you using the same cable as the desktop, so we can be sure it is a good cable?

Can you please open a DOS window (Start > Run > CMD, or whichever method you prefer), type the following commands, and let us know what output you get.
    <code>
    IPCONFIG
    IPCONFIG /RENEW
    </code>
    Can you then check how TCP/IP is configured, on the Laptop, and compare it to the working desktop.
    Start > Connect To > Show All Connections
    Right click on Local Area Connection and choose properties
    Double Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Compare the settings to your working computer, and tell us what they are

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again. Yes a green led does turn on, and when I plug it in I get a balloon saying I've an imperfect connection. Yes, Im using the same cable as the desktop. IPCONFIG gives me the foloowing: AutoConfiguration IP address: 169.254.12.163. When I try IPCONFIG /RENEW I get nothing, the cursor merely scrolls to the next line and blinks helplessly.

Under TCP/IP properties I get: a. Obtain IP address automatically, and b. Use following DNS server address: Preferred = 206.13.28.12; Secondary = 206.13.29.12. The alternate tab: Automatic Private IP address (editor's note: I have a static IP address, don't exactly remember how to access what it is.--my DSL was installed that way by pacbell. But of course, now I'm going through the router). Under Advanced: I have IP settings: DHCP enabled. DNS: Append primary....and append parent suffixes are both checked. DNS suffix: Register this connection address... WINS = Enable ... hosts lookup. Netbios: Default is checked and Options = TCP/IP filtering.

To add a little more info, which may or not be useful: I have a linksys wired router with two desktop computers on it. My primary desktop computer shows the following information: Under IPCONFIG: DNS suffix = pacbell.net. IP address: 192.168.2.100; Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1. The TCP/IP properties are identical, except it shows to disable Netbios, under the WINS tab. (Although I have previously tested the laptop on this ethernet cable [before writing you], for the above test, I used my secondary (wife's) computer cable connection. That computer showed the following settings:

Wife's computer, and connection with which I tested laptop this time: The TCP/IP settings are identical with my laptop. On this setting the IPCONFIG initially showed 0.0.0.0 with both autoconfig IP address and subnet mask. When I then ran IPCONFIG /RENEW it changed to the following: DNS suffix: pacbell.net. IP: 192.168.2.101; Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 and Default gateway: 192.168.2.1.

Hopefully this will help.

kdoc

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Very strange.

It sounds like your Linksys router is configured as a DHCP server, assigning IP addresses to computers on your network. Can you let us know what model this router is. I assume that you have restarted the problem computer at some stage during this troubleshooting, to make sure that it isn't just a temporary issue, it's probably worth doing a restart of the router too, I have seen these get into a state where they can cause similar problems.

Also try (on one of the working computers) connecting a web browser to the Linksys router (at address 192.168.2.1) and let us know how the DHCP server is configured.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Linksys is BEFSR41(W Ver2, I think). ). The browser screen then says: Host: is blank; Domain name: pacbell.net. LAN IP address: 192.168.2.1 (Device IP address); and 255.255.255.0 (Subnet mask). WAN connection type is Static IP (note for a non-static IP, should use PPPoe for dropdown, and procedure may be different); Specific WAN IP address is 216.102.91.28. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. Default Gateway Address is 216.102.91.254.. DNS is 206.13.28.12 and 206.13.29.12.

I have started and restarted: this IS a persistent problem. I'm currently trying the new Neetgear adapter, but it seems that the problem isn't with that area, and I can probably go back to the built in connection, right? ...since the plug in adapter is working no different from the one on the motherboard.

kdoc

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There should be another page on that device, where you can see the DHCP setup, I had a quick look for a user guide and found one here. It looks like there should be a DHCP tab, can you switch to that and give us all the information that appears there.

Do you have any other routers, gateways, or other devices on your network that could be interfering with DHCP?
    What firewall or other network related software are you running on the problem laptop?

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just another thought. did you limit the access to the router with MAC filtering, so that you allow only specific network cards to access the network.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DHCP shows the following: DHCP server: Enabled. Starting IP address: 192.168.2.100. Number of Users: 50. Client Lease 0 days ( 0 means two day). DNS one: 206.13.28.12. DNS 2: 206.13.29.12. DNS 3: 0.0.0.0; WINS: 0.0.0.0. DCHP Active IP Table: DCHP Server IP Address: 192.168.2.1. Client Host Name: KC-PC. IP Address: 192.168.2.100. MAC Address: 00-08-A1-20-97-C7.

I have no other routers. I don't know what gateways are or which other devices might interfer. But nothing else connected to the router. Re Firewall, I'm not sure if Windows Firewall is on or not. The only way I usually get to Firewall is with Help and Support and that doesn't work when I have no connection. (I usually use Zone Alarm Free for my desktops, plus my router, but that isn't on my laptop. I don't know what network related software might interfer, but I doubt there's any.

kdoc

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can you please tell me how I could check for MAC filtering etc.

kdoc

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Looking at my own router (a Linksys WRT54G) I noticed that the MAC filtering only applies to wireless network. since you are connected through a ethernet cable, this will not apply. Did you try to disable 'obtaining automatically an IP address' and just type in an IP address, e.g. 192.168.2.3 and a gateway 192.168.2.1
    You should be able to ping to 192.168.2.1 then. (open a command window and type 'ping 192.168.2.1' . you should get a 'reply' withon some miliseconds.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast