accessdenied

Lost Data From Compact and Repair (Access 2000)

I changed a field length and saved the table. I then deleted 3 large copies of tables that were no longer needed after which I used the Compact and Repair in Tools. I lost two thirds of my data. I did get an error table but it was filled with garbage. It disappeared as I had the Option set to Compact on Close. What Happened? Anyone?

AccessDenied

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Data From Compact and Repair (Access 2000)

Two thirds of you data in the table where you changed the field size or in other tables? Do you have any Office service releases or Jet service packs installed? How did you delete the tables, through code or from the user interface?
    Charlotte

accessdenied

Re: Lost Data From Compact and Repair (Access 2000)

My original mission was to expand a text field from 16 to 20 characters which I did in the Master table. I saved it and all went apparently well. While I was in the database I decided to delete (with the delete key) 3 copies of that table that were no longer of use. Knowing that Compact and Repair is the next logical step after such a major change I ran it and did not watch it, though it took a bit longer than usual. When I looked back at the screen the database was closed. I opened it and and error table had been created though no message before hand told me why. I do not know if the other tables were effected. Two thirds of 14500 records in the Master table were lost and the error table did not give any clues. Unfortunately to further complicate things I closed the database and it compacted on close erasing the error table. I have yet to install any of the service releases. You don't have to tell me I should have copied the database first I am beating myself up over that. Thanks for trying to help. I do not want this to happen again.

AccessDenied