Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Changing IE security zone settings (IE6 SP2)

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser (MBSA 2) is reporting that it doesn't like the IE Security Zone settings on two (XP Pro) PCs, and wants me to change a couple of the settings for all the userids which log on to that PC.

That is quite possible for the usual logons, but not for those called S-1-5-21-1482476501-813497703-854245398-1003 and 1004!

Does anyone have any idea what these are (LocalService and NetworkService, perhaps?) , and where in the registry I need to change the IE security zone settings to "medium" for the Internet zone, and to "high" for the Restricted Sites zone, for thse two 'userids'? Or is there another way of doing this?

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing IE security zone settings (IE6 SP2)

I don't think these numbers are the same from PC to PC. Check the subkeys of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionProfileList in Regedit to see what these profiles are.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the pointers - those identiifiers happen to relate to "default" and the primary user of that PC (the latter to my surprise!). I suspect I will have to use RegMon to observe the security zones change, and thence determine where the registry setting are altered. (But there should be an easier way...).

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've given up on this one, because faffing around with HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet SettingsZones 3 and 4, and all the values therein, is too much like hard work. Surely there must be an easier way to set up the .DEFAULT user details?!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with your question, but AFAIK the problem you describe is "by design". If you're talking about ".DEFAULT user ", then an accepted strategy is to set up a standard Registry Patch - as a basis for your clone - and then keep it in your standard "bag of tricks". HTH
    Gre