New Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting part of cell (Excell 2003 SP2)

I searched, but the hardest part is some times figuring out what terms to include in your search.

Never the less, I couldn't find an answer, and I'm sure that someone here will know!

Other people in my office can format part of the text in a cell different from others, for example, making part of the text bold or italic, while the rest of it is the default. I have never been able to consistently do this. Is there some setting that I need to check? I had one guy try it in my computer and it didn't work how he normally does it.

Thanks for your help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting part of cell (Excell 2003 SP2)

If the cell you are trying to format contains a text value, then you should be able to select the cell and then in the formula bar select the part of the text that you want to format and then apply whatever formatting you want.

If the cell contains a numeric value, then you will have to use the Format/Cell menu commands to create the numeric format that formats the number the way you want.

Can you be more specific ablut what you want to do and what does not work?
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

For example, the cell contains, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." If you wanted the word "first" to be bold and italic, this will work on other people's computers, but not on mine.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you open the attached workbook? Can you see that some parts of cell A1 are formatted differently?
    What happens if you double click cell A1 (or press F2)? Can you select a word in the sentence? And can you format it?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick response.

I can see the formatting and can even change it. If I create a new file, I can edit text in it. In other files, I can do neither. When I am in edit mode, I can see the effect of the formatting, e.g. italics, bold, but as soon as I hit "enter", the result looks no different. If I click on the cell and hit F2, I can see the formatting again.

The attached file shows the changes I can make in THIS file.

I was wondering if there was some setting in the file that controlled that.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you attach a small sample workbook in which you cannot edit the cell formatting? If necessary, replace sensitive text with dummy text.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Here's one. I bolded the last word, but it only shows that if you highlight that particular text in edit mode.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The number format of the cells is set to Accounting. If you set it to General, the in-cell formatting will be displayed.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you! I figured it had to be something simple, but never guessed the number format!

I knew Woody's would help!